Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Herniation, bulging discs, heart condition, and sleep apnea... I'm 31. Has anyone had dealings with

jgregory123jjgregory123 Posts: 4
My entire body is numb, I can't sit, stand, or walk for more than a few minutes. It's terrible!! I've also been in physical therapy but it isn't helping. I'm worse off now that before the surgery.

Cervical MRI
At C5-C6, there is a posterior disc herniation along with mild ucinate spurring. There is mild central canal stenosis and mild foraminal stenosis which is worse on the left side.
Impression: Single level disc disease at C5-C6

Op note diagnosis:
1. Cervical degenerative spine disease, spondylosis formation herniated disc C5-C6.
2. Bilateral C6 radiculopathy secondary to above.
3. Cervicalgia secondary to above.

Lumbar MRI
At L4-L5, there is a disc bulge and annular tear and a right paracentral disc protrusion. There is indentation upon the thecal sac but no central canal stenosis or foraminal stenosis. Bilateral hypertrophy is seen.

At L5-S1, there is a central and right paracentral disc protrusion and annular tear. There is no central canal stenosis. There is right-sided foraminal stenosis as disc protrudes out into the right foramen also and right bilateral facet hypertrophy is seen.
Impression: Disc protrusions at L4-L5 and L5-S1. Foraminal narrowing.

Has anyone with similar problems applied for disability? My STD was converted to LTD and therefore I was required to apply for disability. There is no way I can work with this pain and numbness and tingling. It is consistent and had not responded to therapy. I'm just not sure what to do anymore.

• powergrubppowergrub Posts: 14
    edited 02/04/2013 - 3:18 AM
    I am 49 yrs old. I had to apply for disability at age 38. Regardless of the many spinal surgeries I have had since 6th grade and the severity of my spinal deformity and associated bone and muscle issues my disability was rejected three times before I was awarded disability payments.

I highly recommend finding a disability lawyer the first time you apply. These lawyers do not charge you a fee unless they win. When you get disability the lawyer's fee is automatically taken out of your disability payments. It is a set fee so you don't have to worry about getting ripped off.

Make sure you have all your medical records and most importantly a doctor that says you cannot work or work would be very difficult based on your prognosis. Without a medical doctor backing you up, it is difficult to get disability.

How long have you been unable to work? I had to be out of work for 24 months before disability would consider me.

Additionally, none of us can tell you if you are going to get disability based on the information you provided. Don't do what I did - I thought that I was so disabled and had worked so hard and long at being employed that there was no doubt that I could "not work" and my doctors backed me up on this - so I didnt' get a lawyer and applied on my own three times....I was denied all three times.

It wasn't until I got a lawyer and the law firm applied for me that I was awarded disability. Later I was at my pain management clinic asking my doctor how to live on disability and it turns out my doctor was on the board of review for disability. During our discussion I was told that I should have gotten disability hands down the first time.

I don't know what to make of that....some people get it first try, others it takes a few tries. So dont give up no matter what.

Get a lawyer no matter what. And make sure it is a disability lawyer.

Also, I cannot live on my disability payment. I had to apply for housing to be able to survive and each month is very difficult financially because I pay so much out of pocket for medications that nothing is left over for rent and food etc...so figure this out. How much you need to live on each month...

How long have you been out of work? What type of work did you do? Can you do any type of work?

Keep us posted on your disability progress.