Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Here Hello all

I had herniation of L3-L4 and L4-L5 and had a discectomy done on both levels (same operation) several months ago. I had terrible hip and leg pain and thought the surgery would help, but sadly I have just as much pain as before and at times more pain that before. I am convinced that the surgery was not a success.

• DaveFusionDDaveFusion Posts: 476
    edited 02/07/2013 - 8:18 PM
    Hi jtsom

When are you going back to your surgeon next to discuss the situation?
  • jtsomjjtsom Posts: 3
    edited 02/11/2013 - 6:55 PM
    Hello Dave,

I just had my 3rd (and final) visit to the surgeon who performed the discectomies. He said only 15% of patients who have the surgery have poor results. I suppose I am in that group. I suppose it is the last appointment with him. He told me he was sorry the surgery didn't have a positive outcome and did not schedule any later appointments.
  • I cant believe he is just letting you go just like that. I guess I must be in 15% also because I had failed microdiscectomy. I had my surgery May 24, 2012 and I have appt. with surgeon on Feb. 26 to see what is next. Have tried ESIs, RFA and pain meds. Has surgeon tried any PT or done any tests to see if problems are still there. There is no way in heck I would just take my surgeon saying "sorry nothing else I can do" and leave me high and dry. I would be pushing for answers but that is ust me. I hope you change your mind and just dont accept that you may have to live this way the rest of your life.

• My doctor did the same thing after my first surgery in 2004 of this new artificial disc replacement clinical trial,
    He did the surgery and on follow up me having worse pain after surgery he said sorry he did what he could,

That's when I knew I was in trouble , You know I think they say 15% only don't get beter with surgery but I think it's way more then they want to admit,

Many people search out another doctor after doctor blows them off after there surgery as myself and I am sure the original doctor never recorded in his records that my surgery with ADR failed to resolve issues and made it worse,
    If I was to find his records I would bet any money my clinical trial ADR is put down as it went well and alex is now back to regular life,

If enough time has gone by for recovery and things don't get beter it's best to find another doctor who deals with complicated issues, But sadly sometimes when it's failed back surgery syndrome not too much any doctor can do other then pain clinic and injections, spine stimulater and so on,

Best of luck, you might find a doctor that can resolve it,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Jtsom: I am sorry you have a doctor who is not capable of diagnosing complicated cases.

So it's time to find a capable doctor who can and is successful at revision surgery . They are out there. Don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise. It's a matter of you having the strength and initiative to find that person. Have you looked at the suggestions tips on how to find a good doctor on this site? There are articles on this here. Try the FAQ here and also use search function for ideas (such as typing in these keywords 'find a good surgeon' gets lots of good info). Finding the right doctor is the single most important activity of a spiney. Some folks here may have contact info of such a person in your area if your location. The response would be via an IM message as the site rules do not permit the details to be published online here.

What I would do is to ring the spinal unit nurse manager at each major hospital and talk to them. One would need to listen and hear what they don't say about the the doctors that you ask about. More on this in the articles.

Another option is to go to physiatrists (special type of doctor see FAQ definitions and search function) as they know the performance and capabilities of many surgeons and can help you with your pain in the interim.

Take care.