Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello, my sympathies to all, herniated disk L3/L4

Hello,

I'm 59 (ugh) but in generally decent shape and fairly active. Was diagnosed with a herniated L3/L4 disk a couple of weeks ago after having moderate butt/upper leg pain for about 6 weeks. There were also a couple of other things noticed in general in other back areas (arthritis, some stenosis) but those aren't what's causing the problem. From what I can tell in talking to others, my pain wasn't too terrible (worst twinges were around 5 or 6 on the 10 point scale and not bothersome if I sit or lie down). I started PT about 2 weeks ago and am hoping that plus constant exercise will get things back to normal, more or less. Haven't needed any kind of pain medication so far; not even bothering to take over the counter stuff.

Main question is about how long does it take (on average) to start noticing a significant difference? I had already been doing slightly better (from the maximum pain period) by the time I went to the doctor. Since PT maybe another small difference in pain level, not so much in the types of situations where it hurts. I definitely know 2 weeks isn't very long; orthopod said a month should make a big difference but not sure I believed that in the first place. If I knew that in, say, 6 months I'd be OK I'd be perfectly happy with that. Thanks,

Larry
advertisement

Comments

• Neck is main problem now, but since my mid 40's I have dealt with moderately severe DDD and mild herniations in the lumbar zone. I remained very active until 61 when cervical problems took over my life. Major lumbar flair ups usually took 30 to 60 days to work it out. I saw a chiropractor back then who was more of a personal trainer. Targeted exercise and vigorous deep tissue massage, along with both ice and heat, plus NSAIDs more for inflammation than pain was my normal recovery routine.
    C3-C7
    Severe DDD, Severe neural foraminal stenosis at 2 levels, moderate canal stenosis at 2 levels, significantly impaired left shoulder & arm function. Chronic moderate compression fracture at C6.