Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

PccstudentPPccstudent Posts: 103
Hello fellow pain suffers.When you go to the Doctor complaining about an ache that seems to sap your strenght one of the last things that is looked for is osteomyelitis.I probably should be able to write 1000 words very easy about this condition (things go that way when you get it) but I won't,I will mearly tell you what it is.In my case osteo (meaning "bone) myelitis is an infection that has gotten into my spine after surgery that involved the placing of metal rods was performed.Osteomyletitis will cause back pain but it is so rare only about 2 in 10,000 get it.To stand a chance of getting rid of the condition massive amounts of strong antibodics via an IV line are used,sometimes even this is not so sucessful.There are a few different ways to get the disease and its progression is different for children than adults.One thing that is certain about osteomyelitis is the condition must be treated,espically when it lives in the spine like it does for me.My condition was aquired in the operating room (the common place today) but it is not the only place you can get it.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    edited 02/11/2013 - 12:42 PM
    After my second ACDF (C5/C6-C6/C7) I developed Osteomyelitis from the area where the bone graft was harvested.
    My entire right side, waist down to my thigh was totally black and blue. Once they diagnosed what the problem was, I started on some heavy antiboiotc medications. I had a PICC line installed in my left arm. When I was released from the hospital, 8 days after my surgery (which went fine) I had the PICC line intact and twice a week, a visiting nurse would come to clean it out. Meanwhile, via IV, my wife was giving me the Antibiotics 3 times a day. This lasted for 9 weeks. The infection went away, but I can tell you first hand, that Osteomyelitis is nothing to fool around with. It is very serious.

The worst or best part... When it was all done, the visiting nurse, took the PICC line coming out of my wrist area and told me to turn my head as she pulled the entire line out. Yech... It looked like it was 90 feet long and rattled like a mean ole rattlesnake
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • PccstudentPPccstudent Posts: 103
    edited 02/12/2013 - 3:13 AM
    Some newer but very common tools used to both fight and repair the effects of osteomyelitis are PICC lines and wound vacs.PICC lines are used for several reasons.One is so that a tech does not have to start a fresh IV everytime (you will be getting many infusions.Along with the ability to put drugs in you (not every drug can come through the PICC line) but it is also an easy way to get blood samples for monitoring,PICC lines deliver the drugs into large veins,there is no potential for the G.I. tract to dilute the drugs.The second is the wound vac.There are many reasons to develope a large wound (in my case it was from surgical debrement (cutting away and washing away the dead stuff) The wound vac in conjunction with the proper packing and cell foam material allows negative pressure to be placed over the wound and blood can be drawn into the area.I have been told wound vacs can decrease healing time by a factor of 3.Both the wound vac and the PICC line are high maintenance devices.For me the dressing on each must be changed every two days.My wound vac has clogged up and no blood samples can be drawn.I get stuck for the samples.
    What has caused many of the issues with osteomyelitis to get so bad are the common nature of antibacterial resistant infections.I am in a skilled nursing facility to treat my infection,that is how serious it can get (my stay here is 6+ weeks and I do not get to leave the facility or my room very much.With my infection based on my spine,very close to some important stuff,they are being very cautious.If all you need are IV infusions you can run into trouble getting your insurance to pay for the antibodics that come as a powder but need compounded.