Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C7 Herniated after fusion surgery in 2009 C4-C6

In June of 2009 I have two levels corrected through ACDF Surgery. I nerve never came back and the other nerve healed, thank GOD! I did get terrible back spasms and I have a lot of arthitis in my neck but was glad to be free of shoulder pain and the sharp pains that shot to my head.

I was at work and a boy kept pulling me and my entire right side went numb and I was in terrible pain. First, I was helping a co worker so he wouldn't run and hurt himself. I stayed out of work a day and returned still hurt and asked for light duty but the idiots I work for didn't comply. I had a doctors note but they seemed to not care and I was out alone on the playground with 45 first graders and a child who is emotionally disturbed. Now I am once again with the same child and he jumps the fence on the playground and run into the street. I hobble to get him out of harm and he is hitting me and pulling me once again. I had the other children line up and told them to wait for me. I left work in agony that day and went to my doctor who has kept me out of work since.

We have tried traction, PT, trigger shots and now epidural shots which never did much in the past and now may face surgery again. I don't want to wait until I have permanent damage like last time.

Anyway, does anyone know the success rate for c7 acdf?

Is it worth it or will the next verabre collapse???

Any help would be appreciated!

• jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,372
    edited 02/10/2013 - 6:13 AM
    I am so sorry to hear of your problems, particularly as they could have been avoided if you had been able to protect yourself. I also work in a school and have been put into a situation where I was working with unpredictable children. I have been fortunate enough to not have been made worse by anything happening at school. I do not work in the playground for this reason. Our latest Head is not supportive, but has to comply.

I am off still recovering from an ACDF of C3/4/5 and about to return. (I had a lumbar fusion nearly 3 years ago)

I don't know much about surgery on C7 but think it is more difficult because it is at the junction with the thoracic spine. I would try to avoid any further surgery on your neck unless you have to have it. If you have compression on your cord, then you may well be offered another fusion surgery to stop further damage to your cord. That is why I had my fusion. My surgeon warned me before my surgery, that I may need more surgery in the future due to other levels going, as I had a very degenerated neck and compression on all my nerve roots on either side that was affecting the muscles in my arms.

I am trying not to worry about the future and just concentrate on healing. The future will bring what it will. I will do everything I can to keep my neck strong and avoid doing anything that will damage it further.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I can support you. I know how worrying all of this can be and working in a school, I know the pressure that we can be put under.

Do take care. Nothing is worth more than your health!
  • Yes, I went back with a note and the principal did not change a thing so now I can't return until I'm better.

• Are you going to be having surgery on C7, or are you just researching it?
  • I'm just wondering if I need surgery again if it's worth it. The disk below the medal collapsed so wondering if it's worth it? If I have more medal in my neck will the next verabre collapse? What is the success rate of c6 c7 fusion? I already have c4 to c6 fused and anyone who had ACDF more than once would be helpful. Is it worth it???