Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please help me find my strength!

I had Level 4 neck fusion surgery 2 years ago to relieve stenosis. Right before surgery i was at the beginning peak of my strength career. i was weighing a solid 300 pounds, benching 405 for 10 reps easily, repping 600 on squats and deadlifts. Lets just say i felt very powerful. I was out of the gym for about 9 months after surgery, and my bodyweight sank all the way down to 217 pounds. It was very depressing. I started back lifting weights and have struggled to get my bodyweight back up to 247 pounds. On the exercises like bench press, squats , deadlifts, etc ..i have noticed i do not feel the power i once did. Example.. i used to bench 405 for 10 easy..now i can barely do 345 for 6. But on exercises where i am more stable,like machines,i am still strong as a bull. It is really playing tricks in my head. Not to mention my metabolism has tripled since surgery and i cannot get past 250 pounds no matter what. I know deep in my heart i still have the power in me, i just have to trigger it somehow to come back out. Please, if there is anybody that can give me POSITIVE advice on how to do this, it would greatly be appreciate it. i want to start back competing again in powerlifting. Thank you for your time and God bless you all! Rusty Williford
advertisement

Comments

• bpreachersbbpreachers Posts: 147
    edited 02/12/2013 - 6:49 AM
    I wish I could give you positive advice man but I simply can't. It is something you will have to eventually accept. You may never get back to what your pre-surgical normal was. I mean I am having to give up my career in the military because of having neck surgery so I know how you feel in a round-a-bout way.
  • alexhurtingaalexhurting Posts: 1,991
    edited 02/12/2013 - 4:54 PM
    Big surgery = big life adjustment man, Body mechanics are diferent then before so you might never be where you were,
    But keeping in shape and having no serious pain issues after surgery consider it a blessing ,
    Do only what feels good and cause no further injury as next surgery might not be so easy and could end you up criple as many others and you might wish competing was not so important after the first fusion,

You might beat the risk of further injury but is it worth the risk,? Can you lift my car so I can change the oil ? Lol

Good luck, if you feel you can do it go for it , I go to the gym and work uper body and I can't move for 3 or 4 days from my surgery , So I am no body builder so my advise might not be right on as I have no idea what your body can handle,

Best wishes,

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hey ybsmall,
    I certainly understand what you are feeling fighting your way back to what you were prior to surgery. I've been thru a major rebuild of my c-spine almost 6 years ago having 3 levels fused and now 2 below and one above the fusion are failing. Trying to push that much weight you are risking blowing more discs out, that is the real truth. I'm with you on what brain endorphines do, so I know how you feel the need, or the "addiction" so to speak. If you possibly can before you re-injure yourself, come up with a new game plan. You have proved you can be what you want to be, you just need to adapt to the new you. If I can do it, certainly you and most others can too.
    take care,
    ranger