Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

In the Forest - Where am I now?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Now I think I know what Bob meant when he posted about people drinking. Obviously, someone must be intoxicated if they are complaining about Bob's posts being on the chronic pain forum. Bob had an extremely serious surgery -- probably more levels fused than anyone I know - and has been in pain ever since (and well before also). How does his coming here and posting about his pain, his life, his depression, and how he's trying to deal with it qualify as good news? I could understand starting a new thread as the old was was too long and unwieldy, and I know that sometimes Bob posts things of a political nature and he has been reprimanded. Lately, however, I'm wondering just what the heck is going on here? Perhaps we should move the whole thing to the Twilight Zone?
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • This is sad...almost feels like someone has a grudge against Bob. Why would they complain about his chronic pain and decide they needed to move him. Seems. like alot here lately against him. I know he may talk about politics more than he should. Just feels wrong to move him to good news when very seldom do you hear that from him. The poor man has had so much pain...Now I can truly understand his heading when it says " Where am I now"...good question Bob...:(

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    edited 02/16/2013 - 2:26 AM
    their name is always held confidently.

I do agree that from the beginning, Bob had gone through some very difficult times, and that he is still in pain.

However, reading the past several months of the thread, more and more of it is not related to pain. Instead , more is discussed about photography and nature. That to me is very good. We have had people suffering with
    severe pain for a long time. When they start to find ways to enjoy day to day life, they have posted in
    good news or another forum documenting their improvement.

We and many other see this thread the same way. No one has anything against Bob. If anything we are
    glad to see that Photography, Nature and Politics is his escape from pain.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • While I agree that Bob's forest friends and his photography help him deal with his pain, many of his recent posts have dealt with the fact that he is having a really hard time dealing with the winter cold, the increasing pain in his knee, and his inability to stand up straight. His is, plainly, suffering, and monkeying-about with his posts doesn't show empathy and care for his situation. While I am generally very supportive of the way the administrators handle situations on this board, I think this is a total mis-read of the whole situation.
  • charryccharry Posts: 5,657
    edited 03/30/2013 - 12:39 PM
    Why can't you re-open Bob's first post? So what if it has 400 posts? Everyone should know just press last post to read the last post. Or ask him to open his post Part 2? I understand we're not to talk about politics but think that's another issue.

I don't understand why his original post has to be closed?
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I find it interesting that all agree he is discussing politics and in the same breath acting as we should over look it, as he is in chronic pain? Maybe it is your flavor of politics so it is okay? The fact is that some of you have sent messages regarding the same stuff with other members and expected us to act on it, I take it those members had no pain? The fact is the rules clearly state to leave the politics off this site, not to mention walking into the political season we also reminded everyone of it. There are two arenas we don't allow, politics and religion. They have never worked here. I might add it is not us whom found the comments it comes from "flag as offensive" and or direct pm's to us and in this case to all of us. So when someone says they are sure they new what he meant, well someone else didn't. Then your suggesting that member who flagged it should be less protected by the rules because they are in less pain? I have never did my pain is bigger than your pain or any of that mess, so I am not going to pretend to know one's level of pain. Because one has their spine fused is not a indication of the level of pain they should have. Obviously we have many members who get fusions and are out and about living normal busy lives with no pain. The issue and problem in these threads is the politics, which I clearly warned about and communicated clearly to Bob, and he elected to continue. Ron, moved the thread to a place where all of those following him could still read it and possibly some of the issues with lots of members would stop. My answer was clearly to ban him after the first warnings went out, so he was given more lead way than most. Obviously the simple answer was once he was warned about the politics was to not do it any longer, simple. But to make more attempts then shout freedom of speech, we all know that is not a argument to do it. This is a privately held website and has the right to remove any post, which we don't do till there is a reason. When I say private it is no different that a business that says their rules or this or that and can have you removed if your not following them. Bob has been a member for a long time and this is not a new rule we made up it has been a long standing rule of spine-health's. The comments are only acceptable to someone depending on what side of the isle you sit. Which is why that rule has been put into place. Remember the only words we can go by it is what is written not how I want to interrupt it, as new members come on board everyday and they may not know the person. We can't interrupt what someone meant to say, or think, I know what they really meant.

AS to the thread in general I have had so many complaints over it, and why it belonged in chronic pain, but we let it stay. It wasn't till the politics entered the equation that we did something. The thread would still be open and sitting in chronic pain had the rules just been followed or for that matter the first and second warnings been adhered too. In place of blaming the moderators I would ask him why he didn't follow the rules? The rules are not hidden they are in plain view for everyone to see, at any point they would like. If we ever add anything to them we make a formal announcement. Now if this had been a new rule that had been broken I could see some lead way, but I have been here for 8 years now and it has been in place sense then. The one thing I can't make clear enough this team didn't find the comments they came in from your fellow members and we can't just over look the issue as if we didn't see it. Even if one assumed he didn't know it had been communicated and done so clearly so the opportunity to stop it was given, while the thread was still in chronic pain, yet the issue continued. More complaints come in as if all we did was remove the comments, so it called for more drastic action was required.
  • lstellerllsteller Posts: 1,428
    edited 04/03/2013 - 1:58 PM
    And here I thought we were all here to support one another. I guess some folks in constant pain grow really intolerant. I've seen some of Bob's posts before they were censored and then after. In one of his posts, he was talking about his Uncle Tom (he does have an uncle and, yes, his name is Tom) and that was edited out of his post? Is this not going a bit far? I have found Bob's posts to be a breath of fresh air and his tales of his critter friends and his pictures help to bring a sense of peace to me in my pain. I tend to ignore when people post political or religious stuff, because I know it's a hot spot and I choose not to get my shorts in a bundle over it. Being deliberately mean to someone, however, is not something I can condone. I won't say never, because some day I may need help again, but I'm choosing to not come here again, as this is just disgusting and sad. Anyone who complained and the moderators for caving to meanness should be ashamed.
  • Isteller, I totally understand and agree with you. It is sad for all those new or unhappy people who take Bob the wrong way. I feel that we here on SH are all he has and while I understand the political statements should not be tolerated I like Isteller choose to ignore any and all from others as well. I have more a problem with the language some use but also understand when you are in pain you say things you probably shouldn't. Just sad and if you dont like the post that certain people post then don't read them. I have several I feel that way about and I choose not to read because all it does is cause anger toward these people so I ignore them. Wish more could do that :(

• It is so hard for me to understand this and I am so soft hearted when it comes to people struggling with pain and are alone and depressed. I know what it feels like and just want to be there for them if I can with a kind word or to even just be here for them to vent and that even includes the ones responsible for the moving of Bob's posts :(

• Nearly everyone has agreed that bob has posted political posts, which is definitely against the rules. Just because you decide to ignor them because it is bob would be totally wrong. What if a new member, with his or her first post ranted about something political, you would have no tolerance of that happening. I really like most of bob's posts, but hate when people have to add political posts to their threads. The only reason possible that it is continuing is because he knows it's wrong and has decided to continue and be darned with the rules. It is evident that he has been warned several times, which to me means that the moderators have tried to get him to stop this behavior with no respect for forum rules from bob. In conclusion I think the moderators have been quite leanient. I personally hate seeing political posts from either side, this is a back pain site and if members keep away from politics, there would be no problems.
  • Gary, I see your point as well and I know that our moderators do a great job and could very well have just removed Bob from the forum but chose to just move his post. I don't know, I feel bad for Bob but see moderators point to...just glad I don't have that job because obviously I couldn't keep emotions out of the way :/

This discussion has been closed.