Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4-S1 PLIF 6 days out not

HI all... I am 6 days out of L4-S1 PLIF. I never had a numb/asleep leg before surgery. But now my right is always asleep/numb.. Feels like my skin is going to break open sometimes. Has anyone else experienced this? and how long did it last? I know my nerves have to heal as it did with my neck. I have a little going on, on the left foot but not as much as the right, which is where most of my nerves were flattened. Going to try a ice pack to see if that will help back there. Hope this goes away soon..I try to walk around but it doesn't seem to be relieving it. Hope someone can give me a little of their experience.
Thanks all
and God Bless

• Hi

From what I experienced in the first few weeks after my PLIF I think your symptoms sound pretty normal. The skin bursting feeling with me was the muscles spasms primarily, which of course have been cut. The nerve pain you now have hopefully is just the nerves being annoyed after being disturbed and should pass in time. Ice packs help, and I found hot packs also made me feel a bit more comfortable. If everything goes to plan for you this will probably be some of your most uncomfortable days, so remember to take it very easy and listen to all the medical advice, particularly about how much you lift, not bending, not twisting, and not expecting to walk very far yet. Best wishes.
  • Thanks Shell, I am still having this horrible pain in my right ankle/foot.. its mostly from the knee down..my ankle feels like someone put a zip tie on it and tightened it! I have been walking around the house several times a day, several laps..even at wee hrs in the morning when I can't sleep. I sure hope it releases or heals soon. I tried a ice pack but only once..so I will keep trying that. My left foot has a little.. mostly the "roast beef piggy" toe, lol all the piggies on the other foot are affected. I dropped a bottle of body wash on my foot and could hardly feel it.. l looked at it later and had a bruise on my toes... I guess it was a good thing I couldn't feel that. I am being good about following my dr's orders :) to much invested not to. Hope you are doing well and thanks for the conversation.
    God Bless and prayers,