Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need advice on questions I need to ask neurologist

I have been diagnoised with moderate to severe cervical stenosis from C2-T1. I have no idea yet on what my options are yet, but after 3 back surgeries (lumbar) and one leading into septic shock, I am not looking forward to anymore surgeries. Any help out there on what questions I should ask or does anyone know of any other options I may have? I see the neurologist this coming Wed.
Kathy Catellier

• FrancineSFFFrancineSF Posts: 318
    edited 02/15/2013 - 6:20 PM
    Hi, there catakat.

It sounds like this visit might be more about listening to what this neurologist recommends in order to know what other questions to ask.

It also sounds like the main question might be is there anything else you can do, because of your previous experience(s) to avoid surgery.

And, maybe the neurologist (if they are not a surgeon) will want you to try a few other things before even thinking about surgery. So much depends on what is going on.

Once you know more, I'd love to hear more.

Others will have more to suggest, I am sure - but take notes and ask about alternatives.
    And, if this is the first medical professional you are seeing about this issue, it might make sense to get another opinion because, as so many on here will say, the recommendations are wide and varied from physician to physician.

Good luck to you on Wednesday.
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
  • Yes, you'll be mostly listening. Don't know what imaging and tests you have had. He might want to do more. If he sees severe canal stenosis, he is likely to be pushing surgery. if the canal stenosis is just moderately severe, that is more borderline. If you are not having symptoms below upper back, surgery can be put off per your preference. You just need monitor your symptoms closely and see your neurologist regularly. Here you need to ask him what you need to be looking for that indicates worsening canal stenosis.

One Ortho surgeon considers my cervical canal stenosis moderate, the Neurosurgeon says moderately severe. Both are comfortable with my desire to put off surgery as long as possible, they just want to evaluate me every 6 months. They caution me that moderate pressure can change to permanent damage quickly, especially from any kind of trauma. One says " no car accidents, no skydiving, and no barroom brawls."
    Severe DDD, Severe neural foraminal stenosis at 2 levels, moderate canal stenosis at 2 levels, significantly impaired left shoulder & arm function. Chronic moderate compression fracture at C6.
  • hamrs_62hhamrs_62 Posts: 38
    edited 02/17/2013 - 2:28 AM
    with putting off surgery, I take it you will not be working anytime soon, or ever, is this total age related, right now I am deciding whether to have surgery, if comp agrees with the procedure
  • DaffydolphinDaffydolphin Posts: 98
    edited 02/17/2013 - 3:30 AM
    So not working any more. But first surgeon wanted to do a lumbar fusion back around 1982. Another wanted to operate on C6-C7 in 1988. I continued to work and lead a very physically active life until 2008 without surgery, but with problems. Over the years, many surgical consults, 75% saying operate here or there, 25% saying wait. First surgery in 2010 only made things worse.
    Severe DDD, Severe neural foraminal stenosis at 2 levels, moderate canal stenosis at 2 levels, significantly impaired left shoulder & arm function. Chronic moderate compression fracture at C6.