Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

10 weeks post alif and bad pain

I am 10 weeks post alif surgery for disc replacement and fusion. I was recovering pretty well for the first 8 weeks, and was nearly off of pain meds. At physical therapy a couple weeks ago they had me lay on my back on a sliding table and pull my knees to my chest. This wasn't the most comfortable position to be in. After that they put my feet in tension straps and had me push my legs straight, thus pushing the sliding table with my body weight on it. This was very uncomfortable and I informed my pt of it. She had me attempt to do several more reps. Ever since then I have been in a great deal of pain and at times can hardly stand up straight. I don't see my surgeon for another 4 weeks. I am back to taking pain meds and muscle relaxers on a regular basis. They seem to help the pain in my lower back for the most part, but do nothing for the pain running down my leg. Anyone had anything similar happen?? I hope there hasn't been any damage done. Any encouraging words? They have taken me off nearly all my exercises in pt which is rather discouraging.

• Hi Bets,I'm a little horrified to read what you've had to endure through PT! I mean, what the hell were they thinking!!
    Have you no way of contacting your surgeons secretary and see if you can't get a message to him about what they've made you do and what pain you seem to be in now?
    You poor thing!
    There isn't really a lot you can do to ease the pain in your legs, I sit there rubbing mine but it doesn't really help! I do find being in water very relieving for back pain as well as leg..
    Im so sorry I dont have anything better to say, just wanted to let you know Im thinking of you.
    Jee xx
  • Rule of thumb for PT - if it hurts, don't do it! There is a difference in being tight, sore or aching. However, true pain is an indicator that something isn't right with what they are doing.

Expect some discomfort, but don't be afraid to drop the BS card on them and say STOP!

Before surgery, I was in PT and they were hurting me. I kept telling them it was hurting. They said, "oh, it' just sore muscles." When my MRI came back with two ruptured disks, I went back and informed them of their error. I refused to ever go back there for care.

Remember, at the end of the day YOU are in charge of your care.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2