Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatic nerve continuously in pain when standing over 15 minutes

Yes I am 57 years old and this pain starts in my mid-section of my lower back. It radiates down my leg, mostly my right, and stays constantly in pain. After a while of standing, even in the grocery store, I have to find a place to sit. I just is excrusciating with pain and eventually goes into a deep burn. I no longer can stand and have to find a place to just sit. Even if I have to go back to my car and get a break. Do any of you feel this way? Will it ever end? I was taking Methadone a few years ago, but the doctor moved out of town and the way doctors are now, they hardley want to give me a muscle relaxer. Thank you for this time and hope to hear some feedback.
Patricia C. Akers

• Piers: hi and welcome here.

Yeah, been there too.

Suggest you read http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/sciatica to start with.

See your GP / PCP for antiinflamtories and a referral to a physiatrist (special doctor see FAQ glossary and use search function at top of page).

Have you tried swimming? Freestyle with goggles and snorkel is often recommended. But check with doctor first. Your aim should be to build up core strength and resolve this with with conservative treatment before thinking surgery.

All the best and keep us informed.
  • Hi there =) I have experienced sciatica mostly in my right leg for 12 years now. I understand the pain you are experiencing and I hope you find the relief you need very soon. Ive had laminectomy/diskectomy at L5/S1. I am currently in the midst of getting this area re-evaluated because I now have a spur disc complex in the same site which is compressing the nerve root again. I am not a medical professional and you should always make sure that anything you do is safe for your condition per your doctors. I thought I would share a couple of things that I learned from physical therapy in the past that may give you a little relief at home...If you can without causing pain or instability-try laying on the floor on your back in a doorway so that you chest is in the doorway, use a broom and push against the wall ahead of you only using your upper body and let your back and lower body lay like dead weight on the floor, while pushing against the wall you will be kind of "stretching" your back in such a way that you can slightly open that area so that its taking some pressure out of your lower back and off the nerve which can be very relieving. Another thing that I was taught- lay on your back on the floor with your butt right up to the couch and your legs up on the couch with the knees bent, again this takes the weight out of your back and gives it a good rest. Have you been using ice on your lower back? If not, give it a try. Ice has been the key thing that has given me the most relief, better than any drug or surgery, and I've have plenty of both. I wish you the very best in rest and relief. Please continue to post how your doing. I'm fairly new here myself and have found a wealth of information on this site and some great people too. Take care!