Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Where I was and where I am today

February 17, 2006. I have to remember this date every time I complain now about back spasms or hip pain or scoliosis. That was the day a spinal epidural abscess hit me and changed my life forever. Briefly, "A spinal epidural abscess threatens the spinal cord or cauda equina by compression and also by vascular compromise If untreated, an expanding suppurative infection in the spinal epidural space impinges on the spinal cord, producing sensory symptoms and signs, motor dysfunction, and, ultimately, paralysis and death."
My abscess went untreated for almost 14 days and left me with permanent nerve damage. I have to remember where I was then to appreciate my life since, especially when I get down on myself. While in the Rehab hospital, I had to learn how to walk again. I had to relearn how to train my bladder and bowels. After a month in hospitals, I could barely walk 50 feet and needed help to climb the 6 steps into our house. I used a walker for most of a year and a turtle shell brace for 18 months from the time I got out of bed until I went back to bed that night.
Today, theres no walker, no brace, I walk 2 or 3 miles 5 times a week, and when I see my doctor I climb the 96 steps up to her office and then the 96 steps down. I have to remember where I was 6 years ago to appreciate where I am today.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.

• Glad you made a good recovery, Some of us know too well complications do hapen,
    Even complications people never recover from,

My ADR surgery in 2004 will stick with me for life as it's been nothing but down hill from that day on,
    So many nerves in the spine anything goes wrong it's serious,
    Disc issues can be resolved and many walk away from surgery never realizing some don't,

There is usualy a very good reason a doctor refuses to do surgery even when he knows a person has pain,
    They see complications day to day and know there are risks,

Sorry you had so much go wrong , Keep strong and wish you the best,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Thanks for sharing. We all need reminding that healing takes time. I know I do. And turtle shells **shrudders** I hid mine in the closet and I do mean HID once I was allowed out of it. I wanted to burn it but nurse said better wait incase I had to ever use it again.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
This discussion has been closed.