Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

*NEW* Pain NEVER Experienced Before

Had 2 level decompression 5 years ago L4-5, L5-S1, surgery went well haven't had any problems until about a week ago...I'm not sure if this is related to my back or what.
Frequently I am having this CRAZY cramp, spasm in my left calf that seems to wrap around my outer lower leg into my foot, it locks my left foot and nothing I do stops the cramp or locking, I have tried stretching it out which makes it worse, can't walk on it, then when it finally stops I am unable to lift my left foot off the ground for about 5-10 mins.
I have been taking Magnesium which has not seemed to help. Any advice would be helpful.

***I have noticed that I have been getting a pain down my butt into the back of my thigh for the last month, but can't remember what the cause of it was from...

• Before my fusion I was having similar issues down my left side. Mine was caused my issues at the L5/S1 level. I'm not saying that's what your issue is but it worth checking out.

Single level L5/S1 360 fusion with 6 screws and a rod (10/29/12)
    Diagnosis: Grade 1-2 spondylolithesis, Pars Defect, L5/S1 disc tear anterior and posterior, DDD, spinal stenosis
  • NeNeNNeNe Posts: 10
    edited 02/19/2013 - 1:09 AM
    So you mean that this is quite possibly 'back related'. I don't understand how all this works, it's so confusing to me...sorry for all the questions...
  • davrunnerddavrunner Posts: 478
    edited 02/20/2013 - 10:06 AM
    A dermatome map will show you which level of your back affects what part of your body. From what you describe it looks like it could be coming from S1. We are all wired a little different but the map will give you a general idea where it might be coming from.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • I have cramping issues in my calf but I have ddd at L5-S1 and scar tissue at S1.
  • Ok, I get the cramping part but what's with the locking aspect of it all? Holy smokes this pain is UNRELENTING and I can't get into my dr until next Tuesday...I've been taking magnesium but it doesn't seem to be helping....
  • I would agree with an earlier post - get it checked out, if only to be reassued that everything is OK.
    Are you able to get in touch with the surgeon for advice, or do you have a Pain Management clinic you could be referred to?

I hope you get relief from the pain very soon!
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • I was at work today and it happened there and lasted for 20 mins!! I give up!! I really don't know what to do, I am sorry for whining BUT I don't remember anything like this before EVER!! Ughhhhhhh!!!
  • ...it doesn't sound like a muscle issue, which makes sense why the magneseum doesn't work.

have you tried taking aspirin or acetemetaphin/Tylenol, if you don't have any restrictions taking that?
    If a nerve is inflammed because of whatever is going on, perhaps the aspirin will lessen the inflammation.

Also, are you able to tell what position you are in when it gets triggered? Sitting, bending, leaning in a certain position?

Good luck with your appointment on Tuesday.
    10/26/2012 ACDF C3/4 C4/5 surgery
    No pain; no pain meds - thank goodness!
    04/01/2013 - 5 months + 1 week - FUSED
    Doing some physical therapy for even better range of motion
This discussion has been closed.