Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cervical neck fusion

Hi Everyone ,
I'm new to this site. Could someone give me some advice please? I had cervical neck fusion ,C-4,C-5, & C-6 for herniated disks in 2005. I had tried everything before not to have the surgery until I couldn't turn my head anymore. Now having had the surgery I'm still in constant pain and have tried, acupuncture, physical therapy, trigger point injections, DRX 9000 spinal Decompression therapy, Pain management, massages, cervical rhizotomy, chirpractic care constantly. I just don't know what to do with this neck ,shoulder, upper back ,and jaw pain. My adjustments won't stay in place with anything I do and I'm in constant pain. Is this any other suggestions of new programs out there anyone know about? I will try anything. I'm only 39 years old and don't want to be on medication my whole life or in pain. I want my life back. I was very athletic before and worked outdoors before this all began back in 2003 with my first initial headache . Please send any information . Thank you!!
Rebecca McCrea

• isles3022iisles3022 Posts: 4
    edited 02/22/2013 - 8:01 AM
    Find the best neurosurgeon in your area and get the surgery.
    I spent 10 months doing pt, Chiro, accu, massage
    Did surgery for c4c5 two days ago
    Any questions ask away or private message me or email me at mmazz22@yahoo.com

Oooops my bad didnt realize you had surgery already
    That sucks man
    Sorry to hear your having issues still
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 02/27/2013 - 7:08 AM
    I would say that you need to discover why you are still in pain.
    Did you have some time with relief from the surgery, or have you had pain ever since?
    Unless you know what is generating the pain, it is impossible to know how to handle it.
    Have you been back to your surgeon? What about a second opinion?
    Have you had an MRI? What about a CT scan? I believe they give more detail of bones.
    What about a discography to try to discover which level is causing the pain?
    Welcome to Spine Health bernmccrea!

I had an ACDF of C3/4/5 nearly 4 months ago, and have still been having most of my symptoms since. My surgeon has said there is still time for me to get relief. I am hoping for the best, but can imagine how frustrating it must be to still have pain.

I will be very interested to hear how you get on. :-)
  • You need to contact with best neurosurgeon.
  • Gregmatt97GGregmatt97 Posts: 3
    edited 03/13/2013 - 12:30 PM
    I had and accident in January and now I am in a halo for the last two months. Will find out if I will be needing an operation fusion of the c1 and c2. How long is that operation? And how long it will take before I can go back to work?

• Welcome to Spine Health. :-)
    I am sorry to hear about your snow mobile accident and your neck injury.

I suggest that you start a new thread using your title. That way people who have had surgery at that level, which I believe is lightly different from most cervical fusions, will come and answer you.
    Did you actually break your neck, or was it a disc injury?

I had a 2 level ACDF of C3/4/5 in November and have just gone back to work at the end of February.

I hope that your recovery continues to go well. :-)
  • Gregmatt97GGregmatt97 Posts: 3
    edited 03/14/2013 - 6:26 AM
    I actually had a c2 fracture also called the hangman ' s fracture. I need to find out, how long is a fusion surgery of the c1 and c2 screws and all. Sleeping in a halo is a challenge. I pretty much sleep 3 to 4 hours a day also have some pain in the pin areas. Thanks for your reply can you answer. The surgery part is possibly next month and can t find the answers on the Internet.
  • There are others on this site Greg, who have had fusion surgery of C1 and C2.
    If you do a search in the search box of this site for C1/2 fusion, hopefully you will get some people who know about it to reply to you.

I hope you will find someone to discuss this with. I know from experience how helpful it is to chat with those who have been through it before us. :-)

• Hi I also have C3C4 C4C5 C5C6 fusion in 2007 and C6C7fusion in 2012 and like you i have tryed every thing thay have out there for the pain to go away. When the first put me on a new medd or up the dose of the one i am already on, things are good for a while but things just end up back the same as before in the end even after surgery, so like you i am looking for the answer. Ido hope that things luck up for you in the future takecare.