Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

discectomy 2 weeks after op

hello, just thought i would post a positive discectomy recovery, i am now 2 weeks post op, after nearly 1 year of constant pain and sciatica. ok bit of back ground - when i was 4 months pregnant woke up with sciatica down my right leg, the day before i was on my feet all day at a playcentre with my 5 year old, doctors said it was pregnancy related and it will go after the baby is born, had my baby son in september naturally, very next day could hardly walk, the disc must have been pushed out further with the pressure of childbirth. After 4 months of constant trips to doctors, physio, range of painkillers which didnt work and expensive osteopath sessions it had got to the point where i could hardly stand or walk also could only sleep upright, lying down to sleep was agony. Finally doctors referred me for MRI scan which found a disc l5/s1 lying on my sciatic nerve, consultant recommended op. booked in 2 weeks later at 7am finally went into surgery around 2pm, woke at 8pm apparently the disc had come out even further than the mri scan and the op took 3.5 hours instead of 1 hour.. wheeled into ward and left, was very surprised i wasnt in that much pain, had a tube coming out of my back draining fluid and had been given liquid morphine, for first night had to sleep on my side and use the commode but next day could get up go to bathroom, get dressed, walk stairs and then i was discharged...within 2 days of taking it easy i was very mobile and hardly in any pain just tender around the incision. 2 weeks later and they only things i cant do is pick up my 19lb 5 month old son or bend completely easy and touch my toes but apart from that very mobile... only pain i have is the odd cramp in my bum and leg. i would encourage anyone who has bad sciatica and leg pain to have the op...i am now really looking forward to spending quality time with my 2 boys and be able to take them out..

• Hi
    I was reading some posts before I registered but yours is the first one since I registered a few minutes ago. I am so happy that your experience was a positive one! I was suppose to go in this past Monday but after sitting around and waiting for a few hours the surgeon came out to tell me that there was no time or beds left. I knew that might happen but they tried to get me in anyway. I now go for March 4th which is only 10 or so days away. I live in Canada where it is mandatory to have medical insurance and have had a previous C5-7 fusion (early 2010) I am now waiting for a L-4 discectomy.
    The fact that I read your post first after registering must be an omen that I will have a positive outcome as well.... or I would very much like to believe that!
    I am interested to know if you had nerve pain and if that has been an issue since surgery? I work P/T in a high school with special needs kids and my job is physically demanding but being on my feet had posed problems. I worked 1/2 day yesterday and was at the end of my rope. I see my GP tomorrow to request that I not work til after the surgery and recovery. My GP has said 3 months for recovery my Neurosurgeon says 6-8 weeks... I am hoping for the later.... it really doesn't matter but I love my P/T job and miss the kids. I had an ACL reconstruction last Feb/2012 and was off for many months just got back to work last October within 2 weeks ended up back off with the messed up disc.... for me it's about quality of life and getting myself back to what I like to do... I love to walk, swim, boat, cook, garden work out and this has knocked me down for too long.
    Again, I appreciate the positive comments!! I wish you continued success with your recovery and remember you have the rest of your life to be with your kids so take care of yourself first! :)