Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Possible Severe Sciatica, and my Doctors opinions? PLEASE help.

In a summary, all the way back in October, I had experienced a severe injury in my thigh from my sport, high school soccer. I had gone to the doctor and he simple said 2weeks off for a hamstring strain. After the 2weeks I returned to practice and had to do hard core conditioning for tryouts, and ended up having excruciating pain after. I went back to my doctor and got referred to an orthopedic who then diagnosed me with a torn hamstring. I've been on crutches for 5months and the pain is still there but getting worse. I've taken X-rays and gotten an MRI and nothing showed, so now I'm being referred to a physical med doctor for possible severe sciatica. The second orthopedic did some physical tests and said he felt confident that it is nerve damage with my symptoms. I have very hard trouble walking, a SEVERE pain in my lower buttox region near my hamstring, behind my knee, and my toes and foot get swollen and super cold. I occasionally feel tingling, numbness, and burning when it's at it's worse. I'm still waiting for that appointment, so for now this doctor prescribed me Oral Steroids for the pain, he explained the use and side effects. I'm somewhat hesitant about it because I am still young (mid teens). Anybody experience somethig similar? What were your treatments? What could have possible causes this? Surely it can't be a herniated disk, but I know there are other causes, could it have been from the torn/strained hamstring & the swelling?

• Hey so did you have a lumbar Mri Done?
  • So sorry this has happened to you at such a young age. I would think your discs are fine if nothing showed on the MRI. I'd suggest going to a neurosurgeon since the ortho couldn't do much for you. I would certainly have this discussion with your parents since ultimately they are involved with doctor appointments.

Also a few other things. First, do you have a quality ice pack? I mean the $25-30 ones? You might already have one, but if not, it would be worth the investment as an athlete, even if it didn't help you much with this condition. I would have never bougth an expensive icepack, but I have a friend that had one that I borrowed. I could freeze it and sit directlyon it and it did truly give me some relief, no miracle, but still helps. Have you discussed this situation with your coach at length? Did he/she offer stretches that you could do that might help? And last, don't let this isolate you from your friends. Try to find ways every week to spend time with friends, even if they have to come over to watch a movie. Staying positive will help more than anything, and that's hard to do if your social life diminishes.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Take the oral steroids. I imagine the doctor only gave you one "round" and that could give you some relief. Now if it was going to be a regular treatment, then yes, I'd avoid it, but one round could really help.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.