Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Has anyone had back surgery 5 times at same level?

As of right now I've had 4 back surgeries at L4/L5 L5/S1. One microdisc and 3 laminectomies to clean out scar tissue. My latest MRI not only shows a large amount of scar tissue but also a 6mm cyst compressing L4/L5 L5/S1 that needs to be removed based on the neurological symptoms I'm having. We discussed a lami/fusion and just a straight laminectomy which he is leaning towards, but also told me based on my MRI that I am likely to require a fusion in the next 2 years even if the cyst doesn't reappear. I can not find anyone that's had 5 at the same level, let alone 6. I'm also having a real hard time agreeing to just a laminectomy when I know that eventually I'm going to need a 2 level fusion, and the likelihood is sooner rather than later. Did I mention that this has been within 3 years. I can't tell you how tired I am of sitting on my couch not able to do anything, and I live in Alaska. On the one hand if the laminectomy was successful I'd be able to do things that I haven't been able to do for years. Any support, advice and encouragement is appreciated. Thanks
Microdiscectomy/Laminectomy/Foraminalectoy L4/L5/S1 Oct 2009, Mar 2012
Laminectomy L4/L5/S1 Dec 2009, Oct 2012, Dec 2012
Microdiscectomy and Synovial Cyst removal Feb 2013
St Jude Spinal Cord Stimulator implanted January 2014

• I'm gearing up for #4, and honestly I think if there ever was a #5 it would send me over the edge, so I do feel for you. I agree with you that you might as well do the fusion. I've only had fusions, never any of the others.... and if you are going to have to have one anyways, might as well do it now and get it behind you. Sitting on the couch is no fun. And I live in warm sunny Florida.... I don't think my spine would survive Alaska, though I've always wanted to visit.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I have had 5 surgeries now to address problems at L4/L5/S1, check out my story at

Wishing you the very best of luck, keep your chin up as I know all to well that repeat surgeries are disheartening however my own experience showed me that keeping the faith pays off.
    Take care