Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I could use some help

I am now on my own with all this going on in my back after 6 years dealing with WSDLI now that they have done a L3/4 and 4/5 fusion this is what I have left to work with and I will have to say I live in a lot of pain every day, I would like to have a better life than this.
I have very limited time left on my own insurance and then I will have to use Medicare/Medicaid, I was put on pension by the state for this and very bad depression as well I have PTSD. So I am trying to work on a few things, and I do not have but a 9th grade education. So I thought thier might be someone that could give me some sound advice and a direction to head to and not 6' under!
I am a good person I just need some honest help my three children would be very happy to see there dad smile once more? I am just turnning 49...

Para spinal Soft Tissues: Post -surgical changes on the right from L2 to L5. Decreased para spinal edema and resolution of rim-enhancing fluid collection at L4 compared to the prior exam. Para spinal edema on the right from L3 to L5-S1 is seen with relative asymmetric muscular edema and atrophy. Bony Anatomy : Discogenic endplate changes in the lower lumbar spine from L3 to L5-S1. There is also some endplate edema and vertebral edema at the S1-2 level with a vestigial disc noted. Conus: No abnormality demonstrated

T12-L1 Degenerative disc changes with mild disc height loss disc bulge without stenosis
L1-2 Unremarkable
L2-3 Unremarkable
L3-4: Loss of normal disc height and disc signal. No evident central canal stenosis
L4-5: Degenerative disc change with discogenic endplate changes, loss of normal height and disc signal. There is posterior osseus ridging at L4-5 Evaluation on the right limited by pedicale hardware.
L5-S1: Degenerative disc change with discogenic endplate changes and loss of normal disc signal.

Post contrast imaging there is enhancement along paraspinal musculature on the right on post-contrast images from L3 to L5S1.

Post-surgical changes of right-sided pedicle fusion from L3 through L5. No evident central canal stenosis.

Redemonstration of the right paraspinal muscular edema from L3 to L5-S1. Remaining areas of edema desribed on the prior study and rim-enhancing fluid collection have resolved. Underlying causes for paraspinal muscle such as denervation, prior trauma, or myositis not excluded.

Degenerative disc changes from L3-4 to L5-S1. There is some subtle endplate edema at S1-2 with vestigial disc noted without central canal stenosis.

Enhancement of the paraspinal musculature on the right from L3 to S1. Again differential would include myositis. Other causes for paraspinal muscle edema such as denervation edema or interval procedure would be considerations

• anschutz, A year ago I had a spinal fusion due to 2 ruptured discs in my lower back. I have been recovering for the past year and the surgery fixed those discs.
    I’m still having extreme pain; weakness in my legs, hip, and leg pain. With the use of strong anti-inflammatory and other medications I have been able to function, and still work and live life as best as I can.
    Over the past few months the pain was increasing and my physical therapy seemed to be making it worse, so I went to a new spine surgeon. He did basic x-rays, and found my L3 disc is collapsing. This is the disc above the fusion site, and the vertebrae above the disc is tilting to the right. This in turn is causing the L2 vertebrae to slip slightly off the L3 vertebrae.
    I will most likely need to have another operation. The Dr. is scheduling a CT scan, and an MRI in the coming weeks, and we will know more after that. My Dr. has not gotten into too many details with the lack of current data, but if he does need to operate he would remove the facet joints above these vertebrae and continue, or extend my fusion up a level or two.

You are doing the right thing reaching out for help, and I am very depressed too. My family life is nonexistent, and I can't even pickup my son, or play with him. I am still going to work, but it's getting harder and harder, and I am getting into trouble because of the number of doctor appointments I have been going to.

Hang in there, and do you see a doctor for you state of mind? I see a psychiatrist as well as my back doctors. Sometime medications for depression can be helpful as well as meds to manage pain. Let me know - Eric
    Left foramina stenosis of L3/L4 (retrolisthesis)
    L2-ilaic revision fusion ( loose screws) with a laminectomy at L3 (cage at L3-L4)
    (PLIF) -@ L4/ L/5 - S1 (cage at L4/L5)
  • AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 03/03/2013 - 3:37 PM
    Just wanted to say good luck to both of you. It's scary to go through so much and realize you might not be finished with the journey. Keep us posted on your recovery/treatments.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.