Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain in Ribs and Upper Back Pain Driving me Crazy !

I just found this site and cannot believe that so many people have the same pain and symptoms as me ! I have been having rib pain for over a year now, this gets bad when I wear a bra, I have gotten to the stage now where I only wear a bra when really needed !! I am so sick and tired of this, I have had the usual xrays, muscle relaxants and anti inflammatorys prescribed, ct scan for lungs, accupunture, physcial therapy, massage, I've tried everything, finally last December I had a MRI, I requested it as I just had enough ! It showed a small bulging dish at T5 T6, so I'm guessing this is where it's all coming from ! Now what do I do? Can anybody tell me if this eventually goes away ? I have flare ups from time to time with a burning pain between my shoulder blades the creeps round my rib cage, I would take lower back pain any day, this is just so uncomfortable and tiring and seems to worsen with stress !! Did anyone here find a solution ? I just want to get on with my life !!

• What did the surgeons say? If you haven't talked with both, I suggest you start there. IF you have already then give us an update.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I think you must consult with a good surgeons.
  • position I had a fusion ALIF 15 months ago and I think {just waiting on a recent CT scan results]to confirm .I think that the disk above the fusion has failed as I too an getting g NEW pain in the ribs .as if we don't have enough to cope with as it is .I am already dealing with pain from the fusion .and this extra pain is just too much to cope with .I feel as ill now as when I did just after the ALIF {fusion} and I don't know about you guys but I also have horrible dreams ...I am waiting for the treatment centre to fax through a copy of the CT results to my own family doctor hopefully I will get my results today the 18 march 2013 .good luck original poster
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • I know I have come on here and said this a few times, but I have found neurontin to work very well for the rib pain. It is also non-habituating which I find highly desirable. It takes some getting used to at first though.
  • Hi Izzy, I think I have a similar problem as you, I suffered from pinched nerves for about 12 years or so from bulging discs in c5-c6 and c6-c7. I had years of physic, osteopaths, acupuncture, pilates and whatever else but found no real solution. I suffered from a sharp pain across the back of my ribs and scapular and down my arm. Eventually I had an operation called a foraminotomy about 5 years ago. The result was amazing with about 75% less pain in that particular pinching pain that the surgery targeted (I had a few). I needed to consult a surgeon, get MRI scans and have a cortisone injection to confirm the source of pain before going ahead with the surgery. I was pretty nervous to have the surgery but i was told that its not as risky as a disc fusion, so i went with it and it worked for me.
    All the best and good luck.