Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So what do you do?

jennafjjennaf Posts: 42
edited 03/05/2013 - 2:08 AM in Depression and Coping
What are some techniques you use to cope with depression/anger? I find music calms me, but only in the moment. Has anyone tried meditation?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    but for managing pain.

I have found a number of techniques that I've picked up from my Eastern Thailand deep tissue guru. I use the word 'guru' because this little man can identify problems and correct them better than any physical therapist can. Thats not putting down physical therapist, because I have two that I think the world of and they know how to treat me.

But there are times you need to beyond the Western mentality in healing.

I have found that music therapy is very helpful. But I've combined that with essential oil therapy along with my feeble attempts at meditation.

Sometimes, at night, I go into my computer room, close the door, all the lights, turn on some soothing music, start up my essential oil lamp and relax. That helps me so much. When I try to meditate, it works only for a few minutes, then my mind wakes up. There is a lot more training I need to do to meditate successful.

But, yes there are a number of passive conservative treatments you can use to help with pain, depression, anger, etc
    You need to have an open mind to all of this.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • its my meditation, but by distraction...
    I play on my x box, I drive Forza 4, i was a driver for over 20 years and it always relaxed me, so i get in there and concentrate on the game, but there is a hidden thing going on, i loosen up my subconcious,when i drove i thought /or didnt, it was my place of Zen..where action and art, silence /internal and external fused.
    I dont strive to forget, I relax
    examine the stressor, the anger comes form the seeming hoplesness and never ending demand on your psyche, your emotional reservoir, and your patience..the infernal wait to the pain to go away..
    depression is a natural effect of chronic pain
    music is my escape too, depending on the type.

and the silence comes of its own accord...
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• We manage anger, we have to, there is no escape from it for us, anger happens, its not how long it takes, its what you do..it doesnt matter how, thats nature/nurture.
    we are not crazy, we are not neurotic..we just are
    we are damaged goods trying to be the best we can with all the broken pieces not fitting together, any more, and never will
    the world looks on in disinterest until we react, then we are anal orofices for mearly doing what comes natural after this "confinement" were doing life here, no ifs ands or buts
    unjustly and unwanted, but we are trapped in these bent and broken bodies in a unending cycle of torture...there is no escape.
    many suffer symptoms of PTSD, no offence to anyone please...

anger happens
    anger is a natural reaction to chemistry, to an agonist, to a situation..which ..ohh by the way is happening all at the same time, all the time.

what you do when you have had enough and lean on your loved ones, because you have had enough, they better be plugged in and understand its a reaction, not any thing they have done, although they may see it that way.

when you deal, how do you deal?
    and why?
    Music has always been my way out, i meditate naturally,as a consequence. seek any form of escape..except self deception, that is the wrong path that leads to heartbreak.

Be Gentle with yourself
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Ranch, you asked how I deal? I don't, not really. I'm relatively new to the wonderful world of chronic pain and just now hitting the point of becoming thoroughly and utterly depressed and angry about the situation. I'm looking for techniques because I don't really have any yet. Last night I hit a wall, crying, yelling at the animals (the kids are old enough they stay in their rooms...lol), cursing my situation. Then I turned on some music and calmed myself before it went any further. This is all new to me and I have no idea how to deal. My work offers free counseling, I was thinking of trying that to try and learn new ways.

It's a love/hate thing for me to read the replies. I can learn a lot from everyone here, but it breaks my heart knowing there are so many of us "dealing". Thank you everyone for helping!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    In time you will learn how to deal with everything. Everyone does. Its just a matter of time and how much you want to deal with it.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I'm a social person by nature... so any time I start getting stressed/upset/even angry about my "medical situation" I plan an event... Meeting a friend for coffee,having people over from frozen lasgna, etc. You will find "back friendly' ways to socialize. Hang in there... you do learn to deal with what you have and make the most of it. This is a great place for venting.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.