Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question for all the ladies...

Good morning everyone! I had my second PLIF with new hardware on 9/6/12, where they removed a third disc and replaced the hardware with longer rods. I am now fused from L3-S1. The doctor had a horrible bedside manner and I wont be going to him again. He didn't tell me I have 2 MORE bulging discs on top of the one he JUST took, luckily I got a copy of my tests and read the results myself. I actually had to ask him about it then he said oh yea, you do but they are not surgical at this time. Anyways, I will get off my soap box. I am just wondering how you other fellow spiney women are able to shave your legs? I can't reach my calves very well. I did shave them once and I had so many cuts, my husband had to put bandaids all over them! I am almost 35 years old, so prior to the second surgery I have leg shaving down! My husband shaved my calves for me once, but he was a nervous wreck not wanting to cut me. I also have been recently diagnosed with degenerative arthritis and inflammatory joint disease. I hurt ALL over my body almost ALL the time! I have a dr appointment with my regular dr this morning to see what if anything ELSE I may have! Just barely touching the joints in my hands, fingers, wrists, knees, toes, feet, hips, back, neck, and about anywhere else there is a joint hurts like it would if there was a bruise. The dr ordered blood work and where it lists the inflammation compound in your blood mine is 3.092 an"d normal is 0.0-0.7! Also my body appears to be making more blood sugar to help with the fight of inflammation in my body.
Sorry for the rambling ... any ideas on shaving? I can't use Nair or any cream because I am HIGHLY allergic to them. My husband suggested wax but we are short on funds since I cannot work and we are getting ready to file for disability as per my doctor.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions you may have for me
2 more bulging discs; spinal stenosis; osteoarthritis; reverse lordosis at L3; degenerative disc disease; inflammatory joint disease; nerve root cysts at T1-T3; 2 level PLIF 4/9/09 and 3 level PLIF 9/6/12 with hardware both times

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,863
    Female or Male, after spinal surgery, we all have some limitations. I realized that more after I had both of my shoulders replaced and one hip replaced.

There are a number of products, most designed for arthritis patients, but will help anyone with a spinal problem. I personally have not used this one, but there is a razor extender that will allow you to shave your legs without having to bend over.
    From the design and description and picture, it looks like it was designed for women.

I can not post the actual web site for this product plus many others (solicitation) but I will send you a PM with more details.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • paininohioppaininohio Posts: 240
    edited 03/05/2013 - 8:31 AM
    I'm lucky that I only need to shave my calves, for some reason i don't grow hair on my thighs at all. Good luck to you though.
  • Hey girl... It will take alittle time but you'll be able to have your own legs, I promise. Search the site, there was a similar question asked a couple of months ago that got tons of responces. My lumbar is fused, and I am a "every morning shaver"...lol. I use my bath chair, place my foot on it and just kind of lunge forward and bend at my thigh joints. Now, I will say it took about 4 months before this worked.... between months 2-4 I could sit in the chair and "lean" to the left/right with my leg stuck out and sort of do a "hit or miss".... but since I did it everyday, I faired pretty well. The first 2 months my poor husband graciously did the shaving... we had lots of laughing moments about it. Best of luck to you!
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • back when i had my hip replacements and couldn't be lunging forward, i purchased an electric shaver. You can push down on it and NEVER manage to cut yourself. Mine was like 30 bucks, and the job it did was fine. If this is as inconvenient as bending with a razor for you, at least your hubby could help without freaking himself out! Good luck!
  • kbbabykkbbaby Posts: 6
    edited 03/09/2014 - 4:12 AM
    I have switched to using an electric razor. It's hit and miss, but at least I don't cut myself, as you described.
  • Sitting down and bringing my legs towards me as appose to leaning towards my legs. I usually sit on a chair, lift my leg and place it on the side of the tub, knee to chest to reach the calves while holding leg with the other arm. Wear clothes you don't mind getting shaving cream on but that's worked for me. I also like Ron'sidea of an extender, I have not seen those, but it seems one could be useful.
    Progressive DDD
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
This discussion has been closed.