Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

EMG Confusion...

A year ago I had an acdf c6-7 due to impinging C7 nerve. Surgery should fix everything, so they said. I still have severe pain, burning and loss of mobility in neck, along with severe pins, needles and numbness in left arm and hand, fingers have become almost impossible to move on their own. An EMG was preformed a yr ago with the diagnosis as Chronic Radiculopathy C7 without active devernation. The pain has become worse with movement of head in any direction, moving arm only makes things worse along with fingers even though they are numb and almost immobile feel like it is a brick about to explode, along with what I call almost like hot flashes throughout the day and worse while in bed. I was ordered a CT-Myleogram and discovered that I now have another herniation C5-6 impinging C6 nerve with a bone spur which appears to be hitting my spinal cord, along with what appears to be scar tissue on my C7 nerve.
All symptoms have increased and makes it almost unbearable at times, sleep is almost next to none due to pain, even with pain pills. Now they sent me for another EMG and this one they said was "normal". How can this be normal when in fact things are worse?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    and what and how the doctor requested the EMG made a difference. There are different nerve ways/paths that they can test. Based on a specific symptom, then the EMG test should be designed to diagnosis that type of problem.

I cant say how your EMG was done, but lets assume the test was 100% accurate, but was it testing the wrong area? ALong with the CT-Myleogram, did you also have a MRI? If one test is not showing anything then I know the doctors would want to do other tests.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • jellyhalljjellyhall Posts: 4,373
    edited 03/06/2013 - 4:49 AM
    I am sorry to hear that you are miserable and that you are still in so much pain one year after your surgery.
    I am not an expert, but I would ask, have you seen the report from your EMG test?
    Did it actually say 'normal'?
    I had an EMG and didn't see the report. The doctor, when I asked him, said that there was nothing found.
    A year later, a neurologist who used the results of that test, said that I had chronic bilateral neurogenic changes to the deltoid, bicep and tricep muscles indicating problems in those muscles from the feeding nerve roots as they exit my spinal cord.
    That sounds like more than nothing to me! I had a 2 level ACDF, but my surgeon has said that I may need more surgery from the back later. I think this would be to decompress those nerve roots.

Also, when researching EMG testing to try to understand it as much as I could, I read that it can give a false negative result but not a false positive result. In other words it may say there is nothing wrong, or things are 'normal' when they are not.

Do they have a plan to help you? You can't continue in so much pain and not being able to sleep.
    What about the bone spur hitting your spinal cord? Are they worried about that? If it is only slight, they may decide to wait and watch how it progresses, but I hope that they have tested your reflexes to see if there is any sign of damage being done to the cord.

If they don't explain to you what they plan to do, or even more so, if they plan to leave you to wait and see, I think I would get another opinion.

This is a great place to learn about spinal problems and this forum is very helpful for support from people who understand what you are dealing with. :-)
    Do let us know how you get on and ask any other questions that you may have. :-)
  • I was in an auto accident crushing my c6,7 they were replaced with cadaver bone and 5,6,7 were fused with plate and 6 screws my artery was (sry not sure of the term) stretched to the point it freighed on the inside and set up a blood clot so I've been on a 325 mg aspirin. The clot is devolved but I has some narrows of the artery no stent yet thank god!!... I have had pain in my neck, right shoulder and radiating down my right arm and hand my index finger and one next to it are numb and constant pins and needle.. I also have pan that has started between my shoulder blades and like my spine itself has sharp electrifying pain.. I had an EMG done last year and the neurologist said it appeared normal but he thought I neede trigger point injections for the huge knots in my neck and shoulder muscles. I asked him would it make my pain go away he said it would help and only last about 2/3 months.. I'm at the point i'll try anything. I'm on loratab, lyrica, flexeril a Tens Unit and celexa.. So I can relate to your question why would my EMG appear normal..