Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Numbness after Microdiscectomy

Hello, I am 3 months post-op microdiscectomy of my L4-L5. I had horrible back pain and sciatic pain for years. I saw a physio therapist and chiropractor to help manage the "flair-ups" every 8 months. Eventually my right leg/foot went numb and my left foot...so I had the emergency surgery. 3 months later. I am no longer in any pain. My calves and feet on both sides are still numb, and I can't feel three toes on either side. I can't stand on my toes. I also have some numbness in my rear-end and my bladder is incontinent (but not extremely). I will be getting a post-op MRI to determine if there might be scar tissue compressing the nerve or possible inflammation at the site. I can walk with a cane, but not properly at all.

Is this numbness common?
advertisement

Comments

• KarenDKKarenD Posts: 742
    edited 03/05/2013 - 5:29 PM
    Numbness is common with nerve pain and may or may not lessen after surgery. You also can get numbness after surgery that you didn't have before. i have usually had numbness around the incision site with each surgery.
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,190
    edited 03/05/2013 - 8:32 PM
    I had (and still continue to have) numbness, this does happen after spinal surgery sometimes. I have the same "three toe" problem. I know neurotin helped me, but as I have said many times on this forum... it took like 2 months of taking it faithfully to really see a difference. I am still taking it 9 months after surgery and will probably take it a full year. Also remember nerves take a VERY LONG time to heal and I've been told to expect gradual improvement for up to a year, and that many patients continue to see improvement even after a year mark. I think you certainly need to mention this to your doctor next visit, or even call the surgical nurse to discuss this. If you are taking a nerve medication, the dosage might need to be increased, or they might even want to try a different one, there are several on the market. I think the biggest "concern" I have as a non-medical professional is the incontinent issue. This for CERTAIN need to be addressed imediately before it has a chance to get worse. So I'd call the nurse asap and see if the surgeon thinks is is normal/to be expected at this stage or if you need to come in soon. Keep us updated.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I am not on any medication at this point. My bladder is getting stronger as I continue with my physio therapy. I have actually been released from the Surgeon's care unless my family doctor says it necessary to contact him.
  • I had micro discectomy done 4 months ago, everything seem to fall in its place . I will get pain in my back but did go away after physical therapy and rest. However, all of a sudden I have started to feel numbness in my right leg which went away after surgery. Please let me know if this has happened to anyone? Is this common or not? Please do let me know as o am so scared my self.
  • chop my leg offcchop my leg off British ColumbiaPosts: 44
    edited 03/03/2016 - 10:50 PM

Timka2003 said:

I had micro discectomy done 4 months ago, everything seem to fall in its place . I will get pain in my back but did go away after physical therapy and rest. However, all of a sudden I have started to feel numbness in my right leg which went away after surgery. Please let me know if this has happened to anyone? Is this common or not? Please do let me know as o am so scared my self.

This could be from scar tissue I'm pinging on the nerve.  I had numbness before surgery aND still after.  Where the numbness is ia where i get the worst pain.  .  I just had my MRI post surgery to severe nerve pain in my foot and now Mable like sensations that are so extremely painful I had to go buy crutches today.   My next stop is physio then maybe a nerve blocker if that doesnt release the nerve.  Rhizoplasty I believe is what he said today would be next on the agenda ....  
    L5S1..2 microdisectomies in 30 days maybe one more on the agenda. 4 bulged discs and one of them loves my spinal canal X2 :/ and a compression fracture . And now scar tissue wrapped around the nerve causing horrible neuropathy all over again.   VICIOUS CIRCLE :(
advertisement