Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4/L5 MicroD post op issues

Hi Guys

I've been through quite a few posts on here and haven't seen anything exactly the same as mine so I figured I would ask if anyone has come across this before....

17 Jan 13 I had an L4/L5 MicroD done and all seemed to be going well. Better than well in actual fact, I hadn't felt that good in years! I spent the next few weeks doing as I was told, taking it easy, no heavy lifting, regular light walks etc when 3 weeks ago I started getting some pain in my back. Didn't give it much attention as the consultant informed me that at some point I could expect a bit of pain. 2 x days later I was out of action completely and have not improved one bit since. I'm unable to stand up straight as it almost feels as there is too much bone on my back now which wont allow me to align the spine. This however is only an issue when i'm standing, if i'm sitting or in bed it doesnt give me any issues in terms of being straight. On top of that I'm also having muscle spasms if I move, cough, tap my hip, roll over in bed, anything really.

Before the op I was able to bend over backwards quite far but not forward as years of back trouble have left me with pretty shabby hamstrings. Now I'm not able to bend over backwards at all and am always listing to either the left or the right. My physio reckons that there is a muscle group around the spine where the surgery which was done that has wasted away so I'm currently doing all sorts of exercises to get that issue resolved but that apparently only accounts for the muscle spasms.

Has anyone else had the 'standing up straight' issue and if so what was the outcome? I'm a little worried that I'm going to have to go under the knife again. If you have any questions for me relating to this which would aid in you giving me an answer please dont hesitate to ask.

I'm currently exhausted from not being able to sleep, am constantly either in pain or waiting for the pain to happen and currently wish that I had never had the surgery. I was in a lot of pain with my sciatica but this is something special.

• When is your next follow up? If it isn't soon, I'd call the surgical nurse and run these symptoms by him/her.... can never be too cautious.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I have another appointment to see the consultant in a couple of weeks. Hopefully he can shed some light on the situation but i was hoping to get some data before then to hopefully put my mind at ease. Or at least give me a heads up.
  • If I were in as much pain as you describe, I would try to get in to somebody sooner. I hope you didn't reinjure the disc. Good luck!
    Microdiscectomy L5-S1; Jan. 28, 2013
  • AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 03/09/2013 - 2:02 PM
    Or at minimum call the surgical nurse. They might say this is normal and you need to do more resting in bed for a few days, but they might also say you need to come on in.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • I would talk to your doctor or the nurse about your symptoms.

I'm not sure I completely understand them but I guess after my 2nd surgery (about 6 months) I was in terrible pain after lying down for 10-15 min and could barely move. I'd go to stand up and literally had to hold myself from falling by leaning on the bed. I could not stand up straight for like 20 min. I would get enough stability and bearable level of pain to hobble around using furniture as a 'walker' type support. Once my back would warm up, I could stand up straight. Not sure if this is the type of pain or not. If so, maybe some physio (physiatrist) could help. My guy & his team helped me realize that I had protected my back so well that I lost mobility in it. As a result, muscles connecting my hips and other areas started to 'shrink' and really stay contracted. I spent 3 months with them 2x/week to finally get me back to 'normal'. I still do the exercises pretty regularly a year later and am doing good. Hopefully it's muscular in nature but talk to the doctor.