Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF surgery and Golf

I am 71 years old and am facing surgery on C6&7. . I have been a Plumber all of my working life and I have been retired 10 years. I have tried to stay physically active by playing golf usually 3 times a week. About 2 years ago I started getting a numbness at times in my left arm with a loss of strength, I would also get a tingling in my little finger on both hands.
I have had serious headaches most of my life always above my left eye, the same side as my damage in my neck.
I am hoping the headaches will be solved with the surgery. I take Sumitriptan and Propranolol for the headaches.
I think I was diagnosed with migraines many years ago and no one ever did an MRI of my neck until 2 weeks ago which uncovered the disc problem and the vertebrae which is out of line, until now.
Because of my age, I am wondering if I will be able to play golf again after the surgery heals and some recovery rehab.
I would be interested in hearing how others have faired after having the ACDF and how it affected their golf game.
Best Regards, flibi1

• RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 03/09/2013 - 7:18 PM
    Hi I don't golf and was waiting for a golfer to post. From my experience I have better range of motion in my neck after the fusion and therapy. The surgery you are looking at is pretty easy to recover from and if the fusion takes
    My guess would you would be able to play. I would ask my surgeon. I had C5,6,7 fushed. What I find interesting with your post is the headaches. I had migrains and they said it was caused by C2,3. I had a RF done to those levels and headaches stopped.
    Have you gone for a second opinion? I would start there.

Good luck
  • I had c5-7 done back in 2008 and I was able to return to golf within 5 months. I was 38 at the time.
    I would think you should be able to start again depending on what your Dr says

• Hi flibi1. Welcome to Spine-Health.

I'm a golfer and I was absolutely able to golf about 4 months after my 3-lvl ACDF. The thing is, though, the C6/7 is the toughest to heal due to the fact that it moves the most whenever you move your head, so be sure to be cleared that it's fused before taking up the game again.

In fact, I also had a L4/5 fusion and was taught in PT how to golf again after that one. I had to totally change my swing due to the hardware and not twisting so much, but I was out on the golf course in about 6-7 months. I had my third surgery (fusion at L3/4) in late December and just had my 3-month post-op with my surgeon. This time, he's not so sure I'll be able to golf again. He said never, ever will I play 36 holes at a time, but I might, just might, be able to golf again after this third one. He said to talk to my PT guy who I'll begin seeing soon and see if he can make that happen. I'm only 52, so it's gonna really piss me off if I'm done now. But oh well, there's always riding in the cart....