Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Heavy legs and extreme foot pain

I 'm in my 8 month of recovery from L4/5 s1 fusion with bone graft.From day 1 after my surgery my feet hurt and everyday since.I was told it would go away but it hasn't,It's so bad ,that by evening I can't even walk.My ? is Who should I see.My dr who did my surgery says nothing,Can this be happening because the muscle in my back are sooooooooo tight,He also said no PT,Has this happened to anyone else?The pain is in my toes and on the bottom of my feet .not my heels.Thanks

• WonderboytwiceWWonderboytwice Posts: 149
    edited 03/24/2013 - 5:57 AM
    Hi Jdkids,
    I had same fusion as you in December 2008 and continue to have pain in legs and feet. However it is not nearly so bad since I had ACDF to C3/4/5 in September 2010 and PosteriorCDF to C5/6/7 in December 2011. My main problem is extreme pain in my neck and right shoulder which simply will not go away. Have you ever had a test for Diabetes as this can cause your symptons? Good luck and I do hope you find a quick solution.
  • I did get tested for diabetes,Finally went to PT. not that my doctor would send me but went on my own,, My nerves are tight and so is the rest of every muscle in my back and down my legs,After 1st PT treatment.I already feel better.My hardware is good and totally fused,Hopefully Pt will get rid of this pain.Thanks for the feed back.good luck to you too!hope your pain too goes away soon.
  • I had an L4-L5 fusion in sept. 2011. I did great for 6 months....walking everyday sometimes 4-5 times a day....wore my brace for 4 months....then my problems came back ten fold.....I have such severe foot pain....heels and outer side of both feet...they burn so bad I can find no relief....my surgeon referred me to my family dr. who in turn has sent me to a PM doc....I have tried Lyrica, Neurontrin, Cymbalta, Topamax....serious side effects from everyone of these.... the back pain gets so bad it runs up my spine into the back of my head with severe headaches....I am currently on lidoderm patches 2 x 12 hours then repeat, and 1 5/500 hydrocodone 3x a day....I just had my 1st epidural shot 3 days ago with no relief....in fact the pain is worse than before. I am so tired of being in pain all the time....I am in my early 50's and I can not believe how chronic pain can change your whole life around. I have a dr. appt. next week with my family dr. hopefully I can get some answers. Any help from anyone here would be appreciated. Any questions I could ask my dr. when I go next week would be great. I am new to this site and would appreciate any help I can get. I am thinking of ordering a tens unit to see if that will help.
  • I'm in PT 3 times a week and all they are doing is working on my tight muscles and lots of stretching in my legs,I'm so tight.it starts at my shoulders down to my feet.It really helps with the feet pain.I couldn't believe how much after the 1st PT.I went off neurontrin after 2 weeks it did nothing..Look into PT I know most of my pain is muscle related.
  • I find it odd that many people on here say that the doc doesn't have them doing PT. I'm sorry, but PT is helpful in regaining muscle tone and strength. Many who have back/leg issues are not very active before surgery because of the pain. I think PT is necessary to help rebuild what was lost. As far as your issues jdkids maybe there is inflammation which is causing these symptoms. I wonder if you could benefit from water therapy. I am having ALIF and posterior laminectomy/fusion soon. My surgeon has said something about water therapy about 6 weeks post op. Good luck to you
    injury 12/29/09. L2 henamgioma L3-S1 desiccation protrusion narrowing, L5-S1 nerve rood displaces, L4-5 annular tear DDD L5-S1. surgery 4/24/12