Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Came across something interesting

For those that do not know i have been being treated for ostemylitis and discitis for the last 6 months. Long story short I am changing pain Drs and needed all Mri's and such for the appointment. I have almost all my medical records except from one hospital. I ordered my records and picked them up this weekend. Imagine my surprise when glancing over the records there is a mri from 2009 that showed chronic disc infection at l5-s1. Nothing was done, I was never told. The Dr that ordered the Mri did question why I had lost 40lbs at the time ( big sign of infection). I was told by this Dr there was nothing else he could do for me, by the way this is the Dr that did way too many steroid injections on me. His nurse is the one that pulled me aside and told me to tell him no more, that I have had way too many injections then allowed. He then sent to me a chronic pain Dr. So I have to wonder, is this why I have felt so bad for years. Why didnt someone catch this including my family Dr.? Lesson to all, be proactive in your care. Get your records, learn your disease. I always get copies of my test but for some reason I didnt for this Mri or I would of insisted it be investigated. We put our faith in Drs that are overworked due to huge patient loads, long hours , and I must not forget to add the fighting on a daily basis our Drs do on our behalf with insurance companies.

• I just wanted to say thank you for giving doctors some credit. It is true they are only human. I am sorry this item on your MRI was missed, or at least not addressed. It is true many doctors are over worked and are always fighting an up hill battle with insurance companies on behalf of their patients. My siblings are both physicians and I find this to be true. It seems like a couple of decades ago doctors were one of the highest "respected" professions. Now not so much. Sure there are lots of bad doctors out there, and they ruin the rep for the rest sometimes. I hope you are feeling better and getting the proper treatment now and I hope from here on out you have outstanding doctors.
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • First, Susan I'm sorry about this situation. You've had more than your share of problems and my heart goes out to you.

But the lesson here (and from reading some of the other posts on this board) is that before you choose a surgeon, do your homework. I'm a big proponent of choosing a board-certified, fellowship-trained spine surgeon that ONLY works on spines - it's their life's work. They may not all be good, but the chances of getting a good one are much higher with these credentials. Also talking with others who have had spine surgery and love their surgeon is a good way to choose one. Mine was referred to me when I very first started on this journey and needed a 3-lvl ACDF. A co-worker of a friend of mine had a botched ACDF and the surgeon he referred me to specialized in fixing botched surgeries, especially cervical ones. He has all the credentials and frankly, I can't see how he even has a home life considering all the societies he belongs to, accreditations he has and surgeries he performs. But I don't care because he cares for me and keeps me as well as I can possibly be.

This discussion has been closed.