Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe neck pain

This is an ongoing issue for me, no idea what sets it off. I can go for periods of time with no problems, and then BOOM, it's back again. Sitting and driving are very uncomfortable, lying down is the same. I usually stay awake until I can't keep my eyes open any longer. Getting up in the morning is the worst. I typically have a pretty high tolerance for pain, but the pain in the mornings is beyond anything I've ever dealt with in the past. Standing and walking seem to be the best things for me. I've tried ice, heat, counter pressure, massage and gentle stretching (bad idea there), but no relief. I finally went to my doctor again, who scheduled me for an MRI since my last one was in 2009. Here are the comments that he wrote and if anyone can give me a little insight, suggestions, anything at all it would be greatly appreciated.

46 year old female with persistent neck pain, L>R. An MRI in 2009 found DDD and bulging discs. She reported that for the past 5+ years her neck has caused her discomfort but for the past 3 months her neck has been hurting every day absent any precipitating event. She also reported numbness and tingling in her left arm which comes and goes. Plain films today (compared to films taken in 2007) revealed that C4-5 have or are in the process of fusing; the two levels caudad to C4-5 now have the appearance of severe DDD.

He also mentioned that he had never seen a "46 year old with a 60 year old neck". Real funny, doc. I have some pain meds, but don't like to take too much. Just so tired of all this and want it to stop.

• You have found a great place to learn about spine problems and meet friendly people who understand how frustrating it is.

I would say that it is definately time to get a new MRI scan done.
    While you are waiting for that, I suggest that you read the articles on this site about cervical problems and the various treatments. As you are reading, you will probably think of questions to ask your doctor when you see him. I have a notebook beside me because I often forget what I was going to write down if I don't do it immediately.

If you have any other questions, do ask. We will be happy to share our experiences with you.
    I had an ACDF 4 months ago and have just returned to work again. Here in the UK, we tend to be able to have longer off work to recover from surgery.