Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spinal stenosis surgery

Hello, I am an RN who donated a kidney in Dec. to a coworker. Surgery went great, but right after surgery started with tingling in my Left foot, surgeon watched it for a while and then referred my to an orthopedic, thru mri, ct, and spinal xrays, central canal stenosis and b/l foraminal stenosis noted at L5. . This all progressed to both foot tingling, and tightness at foot at ankle and a feeling like a tight strap across my foot. My legs are becoming increasingly weak, I need to move forward as I have not been cleared to return to work. I work 10 hour shifts, I am ready to move forward. Any opinions, has anyone had these symptoms and had success with surgery...laminectomy

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    I am sure you will find your time here very rewarding. There is an extensive library of medical articles and videos that cover almost every spinal condition and treatment.

Take a look at this section in Spine-Health: Back Surgery

Your symptoms are probably what hundreds of other members here have had. I have had both laminectomy and Hemilaminotomy. If not mistake, the major difference between the two types of surgery is in one laminectomy the entire Lamina is removed, while in the hemiliamintomy only a portion is removed.

I have not seen any formal success rates, but just from being on these boards for over 8 years, these types of surgeries seem to fair better than some of the fusion ones. But each situation is different and the surgical approach to fix the problem is in the doctor's hands
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Welcome - as Ron stated you are in a good place. Hundreds of people that are in the same place as you.. including myself. I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis, stenosis, DDD, and now failed back syndrome. I recenly had surgery (last week) to have a spinal cord stimulator put back in (my third) I have been keeping a video journal of my recovery, and tell my story of whats happened in the past, and invite you to take a look at them, I have 5 videos up, that run approx. 7-10 min each. Here is the link...

I will be glad to answer any questions also. Welcome! and I wish you well.

Larry F
  • Hi Larry! Can you please tell me what the spinal cord stimulator is and is it for your neck or back? I've had chronic neck/shoulder/spine pain for 18 months (post 2nd neck surgery) and I'm still looking for relief.

• Larry, thank you for all information, and I really wish you well with all of your hard work in getting better!
  • KC Thatsme said:
    Hi Larry! Can you please tell me what the spinal cord stimulator is and is it for your neck or back? I've had chronic neck/shoulder/spine pain for 18 months (post 2nd neck surgery) and I'm still looking for relief.

I do believe that a SCS can treat neck pain also. You can talk to your doc and have a trial set up. The trial is a minimally invasive procedure to put the leads in and you wear the battery on your belt for a week or so. The purpose is to see if it is going to help you at all. I have low back issues - failed back fusion and as soon as I recover from the surgery I am going to start weeing off pain meds. Not sure if you saw my link in the other post - but I have been doing a video journal of my surgery and recovery. Take a look and let me know if it helped with some questions you have. I am actually about to record a new one for today after i am done responding to you... lol. Here is the link,,,

Larry F
This discussion has been closed.