Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Im having a ct/myelogram done for neck pain and numbness tingling in my arms. I had one for my lumbar spine 5 years ago and received the worst headache and nausea. so im apprehensive of having one done.

• Ksd
    My first CT myelogram did not go as well either. Headaches and nasiua. They had suggested that I started drinking coke or anything else with a lot of caffine in it as soon as possible. I did not drink anything for several hours afterward.
    On my next several CT myelos I took a bottle of coke with me and started drinking it before I even left and then another one at home. Lay down flat with head on a pillow. Important to keep your head above your body, not a lot but just above everything else to keep the contrast from your head. This has worked for me several times now.
    There will be people that say caffine doesn't help but for me it does. The CT techs say it opens the arteries and allows more flow to wash it out of our system. So hit the caffine and as much water as you can.
    What was interesting to me on this is the hospital I use bans anything with caffine so I had to take my own.
    You can do a search on the forum as this has been brought up alot in other threads

Good Luck
  • Thanks for the advice rick.
  • I'm having a Myelogram next Friday and am worried about it. I already feel bad and don't want to feel worse!
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    For whatever it's worth, I had a myelogram done a few years ago and didn't have any problems or discomfort at all. Just follow instructions and you will do well. The waiting game is the worst part but a myelogram is worthwhile as it shows so much more than an MRI which hopefully will lead to making you feel a whole lot better in the end.
    Take care,
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 03/24/2013 - 3:42 AM
    Like Ranger says the results can be much better then a MRI my first CTM showed two nerve roots being compressed very clearly that my.MRI didn't Both of these will have a advantage at different times. Do not worry about it. Just have it done. The small.amount of discomfort is well worth the information gained.
  • Caffeine good. It your clinic is experienced with myelograms, you should have no problems if you follow their directions. Problems come from places doing 3 or 4 a month, not a day. My myelogram class had 14 in it for that morning. The clinic offered Cokes before and after. Also offered a 5mg valium. But it cost an extra $10 because insurance doesn't consider it medically necessary. They recommended it because of some of the uncomfortable positions you might be in for several minutes, and the anxiety so many have about the test. I had brought my own, which they allowed. Just remember to rest the following 24 hours and always keep your head slightly raised.
    Severe DDD, Severe neural foraminal stenosis at 2 levels, moderate canal stenosis at 2 levels, significantly impaired left shoulder & arm function. Chronic moderate compression fracture at C6.
  • Thank you Ranger and Rick. This journey was unlooked for and no fun. At this point I'm happy with the doctor I chose after a couple of different opinions and just hope that things continue to move along at this quick clip.
  • SueAnnSSueAnn Posts: 16
    edited 03/30/2013 - 5:42 AM
    After the myelogram/ct scans. I did everything I'm supposed to do. Lots of fluids, caffeine, propped up on pillows all day yesterday ( it will shortly be 24 hours) I haven't moved much at all! Today about an hour ago I started feeling a very green and now I've got a terrible headache. The idea of throwing up while my head hurts this much is scary. Hope it's all worth it.
  • I hope this quickly passes, but I would call the 24/7 number they should have given on releasing you yesterday, and report your your problems. You should get a callback from a triage nurse.
    Severe DDD, Severe neural foraminal stenosis at 2 levels, moderate canal stenosis at 2 levels, significantly impaired left shoulder & arm function. Chronic moderate compression fracture at C6.
  • Sorry you got sick sometimes we just react to the dye they inject. I did the first time but never again.
    I get your fear of being sick while your head hurts also. Have something close by so you dont have to move as much.
    It should pass quickly as you get rid of the contrast dye. Now just hope the results are worth it. My CTs showed issues much better then my MRIs did.
    The sickness didnt last a whole day for me

Good Luck
  • Im sorry to hear that . My experience is I had a severe headache and upset stomach when I had it done 5 yrs on my lumbar. Hope it passes quickly. On friday im having a ct/ myelogram done on my cervical cause of neck pain radiating down my arms ,numbness and tingling and dropping things.
  • Are you allowed to take a Xanax before this procedure?

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Hi Bowtie! 
    Please always check with your doctor re any medication prior to a procedure.
    What might be approved for one, may be harmful for another.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

This discussion has been closed.