Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New and Anxious

My name is Kathryn and on the 18th of December I had a fusion of C6/C7 and it went very well. I was given little instruction on how to take care of myself afterwards. I was simply careful.
Seven weeks after surgery I drove four hours alone and carted a bag of at least 10kg to my car. That afternoon I got neck pain, and from their my life seemed to spiral out of control.
This also happened the same month I retired from teaching after 35 years.
To cut a long story short, I was taken to the hospital and diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression. I am still waiting (it's only been 10 days) for the medication to take effect.
My big question is: how many others suffer anxiety and depression after neck surgery? For 50 days I had no pain at all, and now my neck is sore, and my life seems a mess.
To find this forum has been wonderful. I hope someone can answer.

• AllMetalAAllMetal Posts: 1,189
    edited 03/17/2013 - 3:21 PM
    I think I commented on a post you made earlier about depression. I hate this happened to you right at your retirment. 35 years of teaching! Good for you! I am on my 13th year. I do hope your anxiety/depression meds kick in soon. I know there are lots of different types and dosages, so continue to advocate for yourself. If you don't get some relief in a month, go back and request a different med or dosage. Were you taken to the ER for neck pain associated with the lifting you mentioned? If so, did they do any diagnostic testing to be sure your neck was healing appropriately? Were they able to treat your pain affectively?
    33yo mom of two. My surgical history...preadolescence scoliosis, kyphosis, and a hot mess.... 5 spine surgeries and lots of items added I wasn't born with (titanium, peek, surgical steel). Guess cremation is out. TSA loves me.
  • Hi AllMetal,
    My dosage has been upped, plus I've been referred to a psychologist for help, too. I was taken to the ER with a bad panic attack.
    After three emails to my neurosurgeon he has finally asked that I have a CT scan tomorrow just to put my mind at ease that the fusion is healing. I think lifting about 10kg (I wasn't told not to), did it. But everyone has assured me that the area is only inflammed.
    I don't have severe pain. Just a tremendous soreness mainly in the muscles around my neck and back. And I assume that's from the anxiety as much as anything else.