Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back pain 2 years after surgery

Curious if anyone else has had this. L5s1 microdiscectomy left side two years ago this month. 6 months after surgery I felt a pop in the back muscle left of my incision and sciatic pain following for bout two weeks or so. Off and on since, I have had pain in my left back muscle and was told it was scar tissue. My Dr is very vague.....it does irritate very often and sciatic pain following. I know two others that have had the same surgery but never had back pain like this. I am just so tired of the pain. Oh and had a mri after I hsd the pop, and the disc was fine.

• I am only 7 weeks post-MD, so I don't have any concrete experience to offer. I do wonder though if you have tried physical therapy or something else? Since the MRI shows the disc to be in good shape, maybe you can find relief through PT, acupuncture, or something else. Good luck!
    Microdiscectomy L5-S1; Jan. 28, 2013
  • I do stretching and walking as my Dr recommended. I plan to see my chiropractor, he is also a sports Dr, so maybe he wjll have some tips. The ache in my back sucks and the numbness in my foot is irritating. I am getting worried I may need the scar tissue removed.
  • steven61ssteven61 Posts: 37
    edited 03/21/2013 - 8:25 AM
    Stretching and walking is great, but how about stabilization and other exercises? Have you made these a normal part of your life? These are so important for protection and prevention. My doc approved a return to PT and exercise about a month after surgery. It is shocking how much muscle I lost after months of pain and little activity, but little by little it is coming back. Good luck!
    Microdiscectomy L5-S1; Jan. 28, 2013
  • My primary dr has retired an my surgeon won't see me without a recent mri. I met my new dr and asked for pt but she just ordered a new mri. Thats this Wednesday. Pain in my buttocks is getting worst but nothing makes the pain increase or decrease. Pain in my back has almost totally left me. I exersiced and massaged it. Makes me think I rubbed the scar tissue out aand its all irritating my nerve.
  • Just looked at my mri and I reherniated. No sudden pain just a slow increase. Didn't over exhert myself and never felt anything that would indicate another injury. FML 5s1
  • Raptor, sorry to hear you reherniated. sounds all to familiar with these surgeries, i will put mine off as long as possible.