Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

sciatica pain worsening

I have 3 levels of herniation's in my lumbar spine with sciatica pain . It started on my left side and now is progressing to my right side with my right buttock down my right leg now. I have been waking up to bad leg cramps. I know its not potassium related because I had my levels checked they were normal. My ? can herniated discs cause leg cramps? Im currently on neurontin.

• KeytanKeytan Posts: 41
    edited 03/18/2013 - 7:40 AM
    I think so. My sciatica has always been on the right but is now moving to the left. the pain right now isnt too bad though.. but im kind of expecting a flair up any day now.
    when it all started.. leg cramps were the beginning of the nightmare...
    how long have you been dealing with this? 8 months now for me.
  • Hello, im sorry your sciatica is getting worse. I have been dealing with it for over a yr now. again last night was awakened with bad leg cramps.
  • KeytanKeytan Posts: 41
    edited 03/19/2013 - 3:33 AM
    maybe you could try a magnesium suppliment or soak in a hot epsoms salt bath before bed.
  • Yes all those conditions can cause cramps in the leg muscles, Anything agrivating the nerve will cause muscles to tighten up and can cause it to go in to spasms , Even sciatic issues along with nerve damage , I have been dealing with sciatic type pain almost 9 years now after failed back surgery syndrome, Nerve pain is the hardest to treat and when can't be controlled with medication muscles will always get stiff or cramp as its a natural body reaction to pain,

Often slight stretching before bed time can help if done right without causing further damage, Over doing the stretching can make it worse but if you don't over do it and just target the muscles that need to be stretched and it brings blood circulation to the area body will have its natural pain relief and relieves the stress helping getting a good nite sleep,

Lets face it the drugs are just masking the symptoms and often don't work on all the symptoms so slow stretching is always good, But not going full force causing a flare up ! If done just right Dailey especially before bed time few hours before and even in the morning often is the only way many of us can manage life without increasing the dose of meds,

This to many of us becomes a new life style just to manage pain in our life ,

Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    cause for your sciatica? Normally, its a result of a disc impinging on a nerve root. So often you will read about this type of problem on the forums. Most of the time, the folks experiencing that need surgery sooner vs later.

Personally, I know that once the nerve root is hit , surgery was necessary. The surgery was succsessul and the sciatica pain disappeared. Down the line when another lumbar disc was herinated, I waited a long before surgery. My doctor advised to have the surgery soon, but I held off. I was young (and stupid) and didnt want another surgery. When it came to the point , I could hardly walk or sit, I had the surgery.

Most of the sciatica pain went away, but the nerve pain was around for over a year. Plus today, I have permanent nerve damage in some of my nerves from the knee down. I have a drop foot because of this

As Alex stated, disc related problems can cause many different problems.

My best bet would be for you to contact your doctor so that he/she can tell you what should be done.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thanks Alex I will try that. I have an appt with a neurologist on April 19th.
  • ron I have 3 levels of hernaitions pressing on my nerves in my lumbar spine and the os I saw wanted to wait atleast 6 to 9 months before discussing surgery. he said I was too young.
  • Hi ksd, (you know who i am :).
    Just praising the beneficial value of daily stretching, because without out , i feel i would be worse off then i already am.
    Good luck in finding Doc to take you seriously and do the needed surgery that is suspected.
    As always my thoughts and prayers are with you:)