Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Large left para central disc extrusion L5/S1, awaiting op

Hi all
At last I had my appt with the surgeon last night.
I am now booked in and awaiting a date, I was advised it would be sometime in May but I am down for a cancellation so it could be soon as apparently some booked around Easter have cancelled. I will have to wait until they see if any slots left....
Meds working well and it has been easier this week than before, I just want to be fixed now and hope for pain free living after, however that's a wait and see scenario , fingers crossed xx

• Hi all
    I am having my op at last after the last minute cancellation I had to endure!
    Next Wednesday her I come........ Wish me luck guys!
  • Hi all the op has been done now, on Wednesday and I came home last night. My hubby and son have set up an adjustable bed in the lounge so I can be comfortable and in with them of evening. So lucky am I!
    Well it hurts and that's not a shock after being on this forum, but I am coping. They have put me on crutches and I am getting to the loo and kitchen slowly( live in a bungalow) the pain is in my bum cheek, side and down back of leg and it is sore.
    I am slow release tablets, zomorph 10 mg, paracetamol and still n Naproxen plus senna.
    I am hoping each day will get easier and trying to keep positive but as hubby works and son at uni all day I have felt so lonely today, lets hope they get home soon. Tomorrow is another day
  • How are you doing now? Did you get a laminectomy/discectomy or something different? I am scheduled for an L5/S1 fusion on 5/1 and am freaking out!
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • Dawnylou68DDawnylou68 Posts: 46
    edited 04/23/2013 - 1:39 AM
    I had a Discectomy and it was worse than surgeon originally thought but they took a big piece out and cleaned the area of debris.
    I am laying down most of time and just walking to toilet and around indoors. It does hurt especially later in eve, guess that because tired. It's my left butt cheek and down leg it is painful but ok. I am on painkiller and antinflamatorys so I guess without it would be awful. I definitely think the op was the right road to go down as it definitely isn't as bad as before the op. had a bit of pins n needles but only once and sore around wound area but ok.
  • Sounds like you're on the road to recovery- I would be going in for a discectomy but with the pars defect (fracture) I have he has to do a fusion. I am hoping that the pain goes away for you sooner than later, when do you follow up with your surgeon? Did he give you an approximate recovery time?
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • Hi There
    I was told 6-8 wks do nothing bar walking and given crutches.
    I am supposed to have follow up 6 wks after op but haven't got it through yet.
    I am starting Physio 20/5, so lets hope that will help, still on pain relief after being on morphine since op till Tuesday. Now changed to Tramadol again but no codeine now like before but 2 more Tramadol a day.
    Any more news on your situ!
    Dawn x
  • Thanks for the update! 6-8 weeks is the usual recovery time for back surgery, I see. Hope that the physical therapy helps you to be able to move around more. I was on Tramadol when I was first diagnosed with my back issues but am on OxyCodone now during recovery from surgery. I hope you continue to improve.

I am doing REALLY well, surprisingly enough- at least that is my judgement of how this is all going for me! I see the surgeon for the FIRST time since surgery tomorrow and will see what the Xrays show- in the hospital, the Xray showed that all was in the right place and he deemed the surgery 100% successful. I am able to get around with almost no assistance, and able to get in and out of bed without any trouble as long as I take it slow. I am wearing the brace all the time (except when sleeping or showering) and feel like the recovery is going a lot easier than I thought. I will update after my appointment tomorrow too to see what the doctor says ;).
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • Glad to hear you are both feeling better. Please remember to take it easy, esp when you are feeling good! The good days are the days that we try to do something that we shouldnt and pay for it for days or even weeks. I wa salso originally told 6-8 weeks for my recovery. well its been 8 months & I am still recovering. It is a long process. There is gonna be pain & flare-ups along the way. The hardest times for me was starting PT & returning to work. Its a big shock to the body after resting after op.
    Dawny, all the symptoms you describe are thing I have expirienced, but always keep your docs informed on how you are feeling.

So agian take it easy! After 8 months that is the best advice I can give anyone. Listen to your body & dont try to rush!

Good Luck!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • So, I just got home from the doctor's appointment- what a long day just because that neurosurgeon is always SO busy- he is amazing that is why. He didn't do X-Rays today, he will do them at my next appointment, June 11th. He took the surgical tape off of my incisions and tested my muscles in both legs. I told him that I was still having aching pain down not only my left leg but also my right- he said that since I was in pain for SO long (3 years) before the surgery, that now my muscles are tight and they need time. He said the incisions look great, and that I am already ahead of the curve by not taking pain pills around the clock!! :) However, he told me to stop being so tough and pushing myself- to walk a little farther each day and only do what I can do.... and to take the pain medicine and muscle relaxers when I need it! Absolutely NO bending, lifting or twisting, even when I am feeling great- I am guilty of that. I just need to stop..... but all is well and physical therapy is the next step.
    Olivia Douglass
    MIS TLIF L5/S1 on 5/1/13
  • I am glad you posted that as I had tried to return to work on a phased return but the pain was soo bad I did the first week of mon, we'd, fri, 12-4 and suffered so much I'm signed off again! It's so frustrating I thought it would be better now, it had been over 3 mths since op. I was thinking it hadn't been successful or I had reherniated or something as it feels like I've rewound several weeks now!