Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2nd Micro L5-S1 Possible Fusion?

02/12/2013 I had a Micro L5-S1 and 9 days later I am sitting in the recliner and get that not so good feeling again. I tried walking, heat, ice and just resting a few days before calling the Dr but it only got worse. So I called and they figure it was just from the surgery and put me on Prednisone and Neurotin. The pain worsened as the days passed. I called a few weeks later - by this time I was due for my one month post op - but they went ahead and scheduled another MRI. I travel 2 hours to get to the Dr and the chairs there are uncomfortable so I am on my feet the whole time I am there except during the MRI. The pain is awful.

The MRI shows I have reherniated and the Dr is in deep shock. He said he knew I was in pain as this one was worse than the first one. So they gave me different meds and scheduled me for another Micro on 03/15/2013. It has been a week today and the pain has started again down my leg, the numbness in my foot never went away. I am going to give it another week before I call and hope it gets better.

However the Dr told my Mom after the surgery that if this doesn't fix the problem I will have to have a spinal fusion and at my age (36) he feels I may be too young. I am normally an active person and love my job. However my job requires my to be able to lift 69 lbs and alot of bending and twisting ( mail carrier) The pain meds & muscle relaxers are not helping. I have not been out of bed much other than to walk or go to the bathroom. The pain in my back is worse than before and the weakness in my leg is really getting to me. Any Suggestions?


  • I called the Dr and they doubled my neurotin and put me on prednisolone. This is the same thing they did after my first micro but it didn't help. The nurse said we need to buy some time before we ask for another MRI due to I am on workmans comp. bump bump bump ??????
  • I had a MD at L5 S1 two years ago. Then in March 2013 It ruptured again and had my 2nd MD at L5 S1 on 3/15/2013, same date as you. Now here I am into my second week of recovery from my second MD. And recovery now is nothing like the 1st one. Leg pain, butt pain, numb foot...

    I am really sorry to read about your particular situation. But I felt I needed to respond to you because we have both had two MDs in the same location. If it makes you feel any better I have heard many times that although it is not the norm, it is not unheard of for the disk to rupture soon after the first MD. In fact after my second MD, the pain was so severe that I thought my disk must have ruptured again right after surgery. And like you I also had another MRI. I can see some dark material on the MRI at L5 S1 but the doctor assures me that it is not a rupture but instead is scar tissue or hematoma that I am seeing. And the good news for me is my pain is getting better day by day. I am still taking Neurotin three times a day, and Norco as needed.

    I also was told the spinal fusion story just like your doctor told your mom about you. All I can tell you is that we need to be patient and give it time. I can tell you that if I try to measure my improvement from day to day it is difficult to notice improvement. But if I compare how I'm feeling today compared to one week ago I can definitely say that I have improved. Try to gauge your progress week to week. And if you can say you feel better this week than last, consider that a victory and that you are moving in the right direction.

    Sorry I am rambling here... But one more thing. I think laying in bed most of the day is a bad thing. You need to move. This will actually aid in your healing. At least that is what I have been told. So, I make it a point during the day that if I am laying down or reclining on the sofa I make sure I get up and walk around the house every hour even if it's only a few minutes of walking. And even if I have to do it with a crutch or a cane.

    Sorry, I wish I could be more help, but know that you are not alone and that there are a bunch of us in the same boat.
  • Thank You for your comment and although I am sorry for you having the same issues as me I am glad to hear of someone with the same problem it helps to know I am not the only one. I lay in bed more often than I should due to leg weakness and sitting/reclining in a recliner hurts like crazy. I walk through the house several times a day. The weather finaly cleared up enough I could go outside and walk around in the yard. The pain seems to be getting worse when walking and standing. I washed a few dishes today and standing in one place for over a few minutes is very painful. I tried to move from one foot to another trying not to stand in one place and it didn't seem to help. I asked my son to drive me around today to try and ge out of the house as I am getting cabin fever.... I had a pillow behind me to help with any discomfort and thought it might have been a good idea until I got out of the vehicle and started walking to the house.... maybe it wasn't a good idea but it make me feel better emotionally. I am taking it easy and still walking but sleeping has become a big problem for me. I can not get comfortable enough to sleep. You would think with all the meds I would be comotose all the time but I am not. I hope you will continue to get better and I hope I will start progressing soon.
Sign In or Register to comment.