Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Contemplating Lumbar Surgery - looking for your support and experience

My problem:

My MRI really reads that there is several levels of "mild" protrusions, annular fissures, indentations, disc dehydration, blah blah blah.

Excruciating thigh, groin, hip and buttock pain. - all day every day (except at night when sleeping, if I can fall asleep) - for the better part of 10 months. The low back pain seems to come and go, and is not as constant as the leg/hig/groin/buttocks.

Today, I woke up with my left leg weak, numb and my left foot feels numb around the arch over the top of my foot. I have had ESI, PT, Chiro, massage, medication... if everything on the MRI is considered MILD, and while there is no actual impingement, there is a contact with several High Intensity Zones...Can people with mild structural problems be a reasonable candidate for surgery?

Also: What are High Intensity Zones? What do they signify?

I am going in to see my spine surgeon tomorrow,but I want to know what others have experienced.

"My Blood Type is Be Positive"

• How old is your MRI? In one year, my MRI went from mild, moderate to severe spinal stenosis at L4-5 and L5-S1 due to arthritic changes and L4 spondylolithesis. I had minimally invasive PLIF at L4-5. I got two opinions. One from a neurosurgeon who would have done a traditional fusion, then a second opinion from an ortho surgeon who did his internship at a back institute. Do your homework when choosing a surgeon if that is what you need to do. Do not wait too long, you do not want permanent nerve damage if that is the case. Just be prepared for a long recovery. They say 3-4 months, but it takes longer than that. I had a 3 hour surgery and was out of the hospital in 23 hours. I was in pain in the hospital, but I would rather be in pain at home. I was hard, but it is best to start moving around and helping yourself as soon as possible. I have very good range of motion, but still when I am active, I need the pain meds. My left side feels great and that is where he did most of the work and the side I had the most severe symptoms. But I am struggling with my right lower back and hip. I get fatigued from the pain. I am seeing a pain management dr. and may have a steroid injection in the SI joint or hip to see if that helps. I am hoping that will start to relieve some of pain. I am now a little over 3 months out. I really thought things would be a lot better, which they are...just different symptoms now. I am 49, no injury, but hereditary arthritis. I know my neck is going to be my next issue, as I have numbness and tingling in left shoulder, arm, and fingers....I just tell myself, it could always be worse, but it is still a struggle none the less. I have a great family, but I can tell they don't want to hear about my pain 24/7, so at times I do feel alone....so this is a great place to vent. Good luck, I hope you find your answers to your pain....don't give up! It's hard, but there should be answers, you just have to keep looking for the right dr. I live in a rural area, I drive an hour and a half to my dr., but is well worth it!! Good luck and keep us posted!
    radtechtam MIS L4-5 Fusion
  • your story sounds like mine. I have been this way for 3 years now. have gone through all the non invasive treatment. I have herniated discs pressing on nerve roots but not pinching them off. I am having anterior/posterior fusion and discectomy in a month. most physicians said I was too young and they did not see anything they felt comfortable operating on. I had a normal EEG but a positive disco gram. I have had 4 MRI in the past 3 years. each showed something a little different. If your life is being interrupted because of pain then talk to a surgeon. some say orthopedic other say neurosurgeon. Get suggestion from both. Spine surgery has a long recovery time. good luck to you
    injury 12/29/09. L2 henamgioma L3-S1 desiccation protrusion narrowing, L5-S1 nerve rood displaces, L4-5 annular tear DDD L5-S1. surgery 4/24/12