Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back problems

My wife has had the chronic back pain since 1995. She had to stop work since 1997 and is now retired and on Medicare and Anthem Blue Cross Insurance.

In May 1996 she had L5-S1 discectomy to remove a small bulge and between 1997- 2010 up to nine injections (nerve blocks, epidural, facet blocks) all without significant relief.

In 2002 she began an odd pattern of having hurting pain one day and tightness (spasms?) the next day. The tightness runs from the anus area through the spine all the way to the neck and seems more harmful than the original pain. This changed only one time since, when she had two "good" days following an emergency room visit (break-through pain the meds didn't touch) where a very strong pain killer gave her two pain-free days without the tightness.

Beginning 2008 she began having flushed face, tightness in the chest, difficulty breathing and rapid heartbeat. In the last 6-8 months it seems the tightness is bothering her worse than the pain. She was being evaluated for a spinal cord stimulator, but that was delayed until she could get her anxiety under control. After all this time and without hope of extended relief she developed depression and anxiety . . . fearing the meds would stop working and leave her bedridden. Last year she was diagnosed with apnea and is now sleeping better with the CPAP machine.
She has also tried acupuncture, physical therapy, two different pain clinics (nerve blocks, meditation), anxiety treatment, TENS, various pain medications and muscle relaxers.

Has anyone in this forum experienced this type pain/ tightness type chronic back problem? If so, any tips to relieve the tightness? Her muscle relaxers and/or anxiety drugs are showing limited success. Thank you.
Weird Pain

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:
    dilauro , tamtam or liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I can only speak for myself, I know that I get back tightness and spasms from my bed. I used to have a spring mattress and would get horrible spasms. No meds would touch those, only walking and moving would get them to loosen up. I have gotten a new mattress and have the spasms much less. Does she get them after laying down or in the morning?

I too am awaiting the spinal cord stimulator also, I have an implantation day of May 2nd.

Good Luck!
  • Sorry, but have been away and didn't check for days. No, she gets the spasms worse as the day goes by and must take muscle relaxers and lie down before 3PM every day. We bought the adjustable pressure bed and it helped some.

Thanks for your input and GOOD LUCK to you on the spinal cord stimulator. A friend got tremendous improvement and reduced his heavy meds a lot. Hope you have the same great experience too!
    Weird Pain
This discussion has been closed.