Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

when all else fails...then what?

Hi all. I am a new poster to this website although been an avid follower for research purposes for a few months now.
2 1/2 years ago i basically got clattered at football and thought i'd pulled a muscle in my back. Ive had chronc back pain to this day. I herniated three discs, L3,L4,L5 . after what seemed months and years of meds, physio, osteopathy, injections, and chronic pain here i am today on the periphary of having my first op. My life has been turned upside down throughout this.er' journey'!. Couldnt work for 18months and have now got tired of the wishy-washy slow moving pace of back pain diagnosis and smarmy arrogant consultants , dismissing my obvious need for answers and explanations. I have had two courses of epidural injections with the first of those giving me significant pain relief for three months and the secong giving me about five months of good pain relief, that was until it wore off and caused immensely searing sciatica down my right leg and foot. The latest MRI results show the l5 has slipped further and now petruding the sciatic nerve. one would think .! Anyway, like i said i am due a microdisectomy to remove that petrusion of that nerve. But the consultant surgeon believes that my problems are two fold , the sciatica and back pain. Two areas which need to be treated individually which i find strange. but two areas of immense pain nonetheless. After hoping throughout all this that one day there will be light at the end of the tunnel and a likely end to the pain and misery ive suffered, this consultant has stated , dashing those dreams, that the problems i have are unlikely to ever be fixed, and intrusive spinal surgery will unlikely fix the problem. T he prospect of going through life like i am now is hard and bitter pill to swallow. How do people feel about this and what can we do. I have a partner and child to support and currently cannot work more than part-time, even thats a push at times. Like i said, when all else fails....what next.??

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:
    dilauro , tamtam or liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I would get aa second opinion from another dr. I had 2 herniated discs with sciatica pain and had a fusion in 2007. Took all my pain away for 5 years. Now the level under the fusion has blown so i am having that fused on april 12th. You have options....find another dr to explore those options! Never settle!
    DDD 2 level ALIF L3-L5 in 2007. 4/11/13 posterior fusion w/decompression on L5-S1.
  • Thanks for replying mate. Your input and comments are of great comfort to hear. There are so many unsuccessfull invasive spinal surgeries u hear about, that i can kinda see why these procedures are not pushed with heavy weight by the orthapeadic consultants. Having said that, i am already on my third consultant , as well as bypassing a second opinion. All seem to point me with the same doom and gloom conclusion. 'we will only operate when u feel its too painfull to continue anymore'. With a 60% efficiency rating maybe its best to play on those percentages? However for some strange reason , these past few days my back and sciatica have inexstricable become a lot better. To the point where i feel quite good for the first time in ages. I realise my problems have'nt gone away , but maybe, just maybe, nature is finding its on solution. Then again, maybe im getting a bit caried away and prob shoul'dnt sign up for gymnastic classes any time this wek , lol.
    Perhaps im just having a week of lowered pain, which , i fear, is the most likely answer to my subsided pain .
  • davrunnerddavrunner Posts: 478
    edited 04/02/2013 - 7:47 AM
    Waiting for the pain to get to a point I can't take it anymore before they'll operate both lumbar and cervical. If I have surgery it would be a 3 level fusion c4-7 or 3 level lumbar l3-s1. I had 6 facet injections a couple of months ago and it did reduce the pain level but didn't last too long. I have had cervical blocks before with no relief so going to try the cervical facet injections next week, again 6 of them.
    Hope you hiatus from the bad pain last. Don't overdo anything as it can bring the pain back with a vengence.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched