Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

c5 c6 herniation presenting leg pains

premiergodppremiergod Posts: 4
edited 03/30/2013 - 10:36 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I have a upcoming surgery scheduled for c5 c6 herniation. I have one of the top neurosurgeons in the nation to be doing the procedure. He has done many procedures on top pro athletes around the world. He says he will try the adr with the Bryan disc, but since I have broad shoulders he may have to do a 1 level acdf. He said he won't know until he had me on the operating table which bothers me because I would like to know which I will be having and not have to wake in haze mumbling, "what did they give me"?. I am pretty freaked out as I am relatively young (33) and have not had any physical issues ever. I have however been hard on body in my years, (heavy street skateboarding, mountain biker, frequent drinker, and have smoked for years although have been quit for 3 years). I also sit at a computer for up to 10 hours a day which will have to change. That being said, I just am pretty scared about the surgery and just pray I get better and can hopefully engage in some of these activities again post op.

A brief history of my issue is as follows. I had neck pain for a few years that last year got bad enough to where I began seeing a chiro (friend of mine) for the issue. I was getting better after some rehab and massages so decided to ramp up workouts there. Heavy workouts with weights and explosive movements. One day I was doing overhead presses which just felt pretty uncomfortable. After one of the chiros there adjusted my neck to the right and I felt shooting pain down my arm into my right hand. I think I had a bulging disc that had just been herniated. I definitely felt "off" after that but continued with my daily life. about a month after I just woke up on Christmas and my arm was on fire. Since then I have had all the "common" symptoms of a c5-c6 herniation. I had excruciating right shoulder and arm pain for 3 months after I woke up with it. My thumb went numb and I had tingling in my right arm and hand. Wrist locked up too, felt like carpal tunnel. I had one injection about a month after I woke up with the pain. It didn't work and the next day my thumb was numb. I also had pain in my right hip. It has been over 4 months now and my thumb numbness has been going away and the pain is moderate unless I have a flare up, but I have like shock pain in my leg along with muscle spasms pretty much all over my body. I am scheduled for surgery and am worried that these leg symptoms are not related although my body is sort of telling me they are. It also feels weird to write with my right hand but I don't have much muscle atrophy. My surgeon said he would get the surgery if he were me. I am concerned about the pain and tingles in my leg. I would hold off on the surgery as my am pain has somewhat subsided but the pains and twitches all over have me worried. Does anyone have any advice or has anyone had other symptoms from a c5 c6 herniation in there lower extremities? Any advice would be AWESOME!!!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 03/30/2013 - 10:29 PM
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:
    dilauro , tamtam or liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery