Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Chronic Pain and Sleep Study What Now

Hi everyone, I hope everyone is getting some relief from their pain today. I went for a Sleep Study last night to rule out Sleep Apnea as my problem with sleeping. This was ordered by my cardiologist due to the fact that I have 7 stents with 2 new ones in January due to heart attack. I have complained about not sleeping for years due to chronic back and leg pain due to nerve damage and excessive scar tissue for years. I wear a 100mcg Fentanyl patch, take 10/325 hydrocodone, lunesta, etc. So I went for my sleep study last night. I slept a total of 1.5 hours, and woke up six times. Needless to say, Sleep Apnea is not my problem. The technologist asked me if this was normal, and I told him probably somewhat better than normal in that I actually remembered 2 dreams. So this study willl be sent back to my cardio and primary doctors. My question is where do I go from here? I told my wife that they will probably prescribe me a horse tranquilizer, but I sure hope that is the result. I guess I am looking to see if anyone else has gone through this and what did their doctors end up doing? I cant wait to see my cardiologist, due to the fact that he laughs, and says no one can sleep that little. Well, now we have the proof. I am going to try to take a nap now :) I hope everyone got a good nights sleep!!

• While I am not nearly as bad as that, I can fully understand your situation, as I have the same sort of problem sleeping with pain.
    Plus my wife snores!
    Lucky to get 4-5 hours of broken sleep.
  • Not getting sleep is serious and I'm glad to hear they did a study. After my 2 back surgeries, I wasn't sleeping. I was lucky to get 2 hours and then maybe 2 more. I didn't think much of it (this went on for at least 6 months) until my husband realized what was happening when he woke up one night and started asking me questions.

Well, after 3+ months with a phsyio (they ruled out more back issues, didn't get to sleep study b/c I woke up due to pain) - I remembered my first good night sleep....and then by the time I hit 4 good night sleeps, I realized how amazing I felt. I still had pain but I was able to focus on stuff and just was amazed at the difference it made.

Good luck getting to the bottom of that!
  • I have it, and if you do and they can get you a CPAP it will chnage you LIFE.

It sure did for me !

Jester in Ja's court :)
  • Fortunately apnea was ruled out, which I was pretty happy for. I believe it is pain related, or possibly restless leg syndrome. I have to go to see my pcp this week to go over the results with him and hopefully find a resolution. The biggest problem that I have with it is that after a few days of no sleep, my Blood pressure gets too high, and I start to have palpitations and arrythmias. This really concerns me after my heart attack in January, I would not wish one on anybody. One thing I think may be part of the problem is the Hydrococdone I take for BT pain. They actually keep me awake versus getting drowsy. My pcp has dismissed this idea, but maybe he will change his thought after seeing the study.I hope everyone is feeling better and can get a good nights sleep :)
This discussion has been closed.