Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

still swelling after microdiscectomy

I am now about 12 weeks post surgery for microdiscectomy at l5/s1. although the surgery seems to have been successful I am still struggling a bit in terms of getting back to normal. the pain from the sciatica has gone but I am still getting a lot of muscle spasms and cramping and this seems to be after trying to do everyday activities. I am also getting a lot of swelling either side of the wound site and directly below the incision. I have seen my gp am he doesn't think there is any sign of infection and I also don't think that there is infection. is it normal to still be getting this swelling and spasms at this point after surgery???

• I am 7 mo post-op and I am still getting swelling after activity as well. I was told it can last up to a year. It is def a struggle to try to get back to "normal"
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • thanks for the reply ben. sometimes just to hear anyone else is having the same problems eases the worry. do you continue to do normal activities when your swelling is bad or do you back off from physical tasks. I don't know if by carrying on I am adding to the problem
  • Esp where I was at about 12 weeks. Too much activity def caused swelling & flare ups. But if I stayed too inactive that caused flare ups as well! Crappy deal right? Its just a matter of learning your body and finding that "right" level of activity. Usually now when I have these flare-ups (which I am currently having over the past week) I limit my activity quite a bit but try to do my light home PT exercises & stretching every day. It seems to help. The way I feel right now would have caused me alot of anxiety 2-3 months ago. Now I know it will go away and I just have to be smart & aware of what I am doing always.

If you search microdiscetomy posts you should find many of my posts & many others relating to exactly how you are feeling. Also feel free to DM or post anytime I try to get on here often and am happy to share my exp!
    L5S1 REMOVED herniation. Years of pain & compression. Microdiscectomy complete!! Trying to be super smart & safe with recovery!
  • 4life44life Posts: 36
    edited 04/05/2013 - 3:40 AM
    its knowing what to do for the best which is the hardest part. like you mentioned i think its just finding the right level and managing your activities. sitting or standing in one place for too long seem to be my obstacle to overcome at the moment. thanks for your comments they have eased my concerns.
  • I am 7 weeks post op and the only pain I have is after I have been lying down. I can barely get out of bed to get to the bathroom in the night. All the pain is in my legs and feet. I am also having swelling in my hands and feet. Is this normal or could something else be going on?
  • i had more major surgery, a fusion at l5-s1, but its been almost 10 months now, and i still get swelling around the incision, as well as regular muscle spasms in my lower back. i'm on daily NSAID's again, and those seem to actually reduce alot of the swelling around the incision. as for the spasms, it depends on the day, but i can be fine one day, and the next all of a sudden, my back is spasming no matter what i do.

give it time, things will improve. i'm still in better shape now than before my surgery. even if its not great shape. :)
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012
  • thanks for the messages folks. I seem to be getting better very slowly but surely. Wouldn't it be nice if you could have a holiday from the pain for a few days. Gets a bit boring after a while. Got to keep going though. I hope whatever you are going through that you are progressing and life is getting easier. I have found this site to be a great help. Not only to share experiences and gain knowledge but also to know that i am not alone in my situation. I wish you all the best of luck.
  • As well

I am 7 weeks post-op and still lots of swelling, almost like an egg sticking out at times

I asked.my surgeons physician asst. Is this normal?

Her snotty ANSWER to me was

• I still occassionally get swelling when there are major changes in the barometer, and of course, when I overdo it, or spend too much time at one time on my feet......so it can happen for quite awhile that you may notice it from time to time..
  • You're always there to comfort me and to put my mind at esse.

I had my husband stretch out my leg the way the PT showed me how to do it and i do feel better today, numbness
    But less discomfort in the butt.

Thanks sweetie
    You are a Godsend

• that's why I am here...........to try to help.
    Hopefully, you will continue to see little improvements, and one day, look back at all of this and go...........wow, I can barely remember all of that.
  • About my neck surgery 2 1/2 years ago and my total hip replacement in Dec 2012

Both totally successful and blessings

Have things now calmed down for you moderators ?

I hope so