Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

walking difficult and increase of stumbling

Dr told me I have lumbar stenosis and wants me to see surgeon, but right now no insurance. I am no longer able to work, as I was lifting patients. The pain is just getting worse over time. I can only walk a little ways before the pain is about more than a ten. I have noticed I am stumbling more now too. Knee is buckling. very uncoordinated. Has anyone gotten to the poin that they could no longer walk? What did you do? how do you know when its time for a walker?. I am only49, I need to walk much longer. I am taking Naproxen sodium and it doesnt work as well as I need it to. I use Ice at times, heat others, and i try to excersice. I have been lacking on that lately, but will soon be using a pool for excersice

• I have pain in my calf when I walk short distance, my right knee hurts and my balance is not good, I look like a drunk sometimes trying to walk.when I stop walking the pain goes away.it bums me out I can't walk to the mailbox still walk but it hurts and I have to stop for a while.... I don't know how bad is going to get but spinal stenosis is not fun
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    For past several years, I have been using a cane. I will still lose my balance at times and occasionally fall...but...

Some days are better than others. Some days, I can't even use the cane, as I'm so bent over and just getting to another room in my home is a painful and dreadful sight.

For you, living with pain at 10 daily...wow, can't be good.

Did you explain to doctor , who referred you to surgeon, that you are unable to comply due to insurance and financial situation? That doctor may have guidance for you.

You said you can't work. Are you on Disability?
    I don't know where you live, but is there anyone you can talk to re' your needs, lack of insurance, etc..?
    Sometimes social workers are very good with resources or guidance on how to get care for your needs.

Hang in there!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

This discussion has been closed.