Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Prisoner to previous meds

I have lower back pain with two torn discs. On Tuesday I crashed my motorcycle and smashed left hip. The hip next to back pain. SInce I take 30mg MS Contin x2 each day, NO DOCTOR will provide any other short term meds to help with hip pain due to crash! I am on a contract, but pain dr. simply will NOT call me back, and of course I can't get into see him for 6 weeks.

Once you get meds to help one condition....God help you if you get injured! You are on your own!!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and continues to grow.
    Here are just some of the highlights:

- Detailed medical libraries of Articles and Videos that address almost every Spinal Conditions and Treatment

- The Wellness section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.

- Under the Resource tab, there is a section Doctor Advice Health Center which can be invaluable.

- As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here is where you can meet thousands of other people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family who provide comfort and the advantages of a Support System. You are now part of this family that is approximately 20,600 International members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts do not violate any of the rules.

- As a new member, it is helpful to understand the 'makeup' of these forums, how to make posts, tips on adding images and much more. You should read Forum FAQ

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the Private Message facility to contact any one of the Moderators on my team:
    dilauro , tamtam or liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I did read FAQ etc. I am venting to some extent and wondering if this is how other patients are "thrown into" the mix of folks who have legitimate additional pain, but treated like drug seekers. I know how all of the tricks work. I was a police officer for 20 years and worked cases of seekers, sellers, traders, etc. But now I find that every doctor I talk with automatically assumes that is my goal....more meds. In reality I would have loved to just speak to my pain dr. for some advice. I really feel like he didn't care enough to call me, when that was his advice. Call if you are having problems. Anyone?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    others (being a police officer) in how the DEA has had to keep closely tabs to all narcotic medications.

Just from reading your initial post, I was somewhat surprised.
    345spine said:

SInce I take 30mg MS Contin x2 each day, NO DOCTOR will provide any other short term meds to help with hip pain due to crash!
    Pain medications do not distinguish between back pain , hip pain or tooth pain. Narcotics work in (without all the medical details) taking control of some of your brain waves so you do not feel as much pain. That includes your entire body.

If you were to ask a Doctor to give me pain medications for my back pain, and now give me pain medications for my hip pain, they would be really taken back.

One suggestion I have would be to talk to your doctor about other options. Pain medications is not the end all in controlling problems. There are nerve medications, muscle relaxers, etc plus a whole set of conservative treatments to help manage your pain.

You mentioned you read our FAQ, then you probably read the article about "THE BLEND" .

The medical field is there to help all individuals. They need to do this in a responsible manner and in recent days always need to justify all their actions and prescribed medications. At times, that can make you or others feel as if you are a drug seeker, but you need to look at it from there perspective.

A good medical professional can be almost 100% accurate when prescribing the proper medications based on a patients condition.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I do understand that narcotics are narcotics. What I find interesting and frustrating is that I signed the pain contract, which does not allow for multiple doctors providing scripts. That makes sense and keeps folks from shopping and overdosing themselves. I have seen many of those in person. My frustration is that I injured myself in a place not currently being monitored, but I cannot get in to see my pain dr for over a month. So regardless of the method, I am left to live with additional pain. If my current dose and type of meds were working, I would have no gripe. I want to be able to do things as a normal person but I am stuck because I cannot get in. That is my gripe, and yes I was upset when I started this thread. I really wish dr's would leave a slot or two each day/week for those who fall in my predicament. New pain, new injury. I do appreciate your response. I will look at your hyperlinks. Thanks! S
  • and in my original post I should have said no doctor CAN prescribe short acting meds, or whatever they feel treatment should be. I am tied to the contract and I understand that. Is that more clear? The point of the post is not whether I get more meds, but the fact that I can't see pain dr for soo long....
  • techgurl1988ttechgurl1988 Posts: 108
    edited 04/15/2013 - 6:55 AM
    I had a severe cat bite which gave me four puncture wounds on my left wrist and into my tendon. When i went to the urgent care facility, they offered to give me pain meds knowing I was already on Exalgo and dilaudid. I refused knowing I had a pain contract. I called my doctors office and was told with a call back that the doctor would not raise my dose regardless of the additional pain. It left me feeling as if my doctor doesn't care as he didn't even request to see me or request the urgent care records. I would have thought that he would at least request I come in. Then when I went in the next month for my regular appointment he saw the healing wounds on my wrist and said "What is that??" And i reminded him what it was and that I had called. He said "you should have made an appointment anyway". Well really? Why would I spend money for an appointment and my husbands time to drive me if the end result was him not doing anything about it? I realize doctors are under scrutiny but my doctor has lost his compassion. It seems he is burned out and treats everyone as if they are seekers even though he has referred me to a surgeon for a fusion. For those that have a doctor who listens and then makes an educated decision, you are very blessed. My doctor told me he doesn't have anyone else receiving more then Vicodin and that I should consider myself lucky that he will continue my dose from my previous retired doctor but to never ask for more because he will not give it. I am hoping after my surgery that I can find a doctor who will at least not pigeon hole me like that (if I still need pain managment).

Grade 4 tear in l4/l5 was missed in first MRI so did injections for a year
    SI joints "messed up" not sure if I will get them fused at a later time
    Had Open PLIF L4/L5 5/28/13
    Woke up to permanent nerve damage in legs and feet.
This discussion has been closed.