Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

just diagnosed with T-11fracture.

Im a healthy 47 year old. Want to continue my physical job. Am i through with? Never had problems in my life of this sort. What do i do? Filefor ssi??? I have no health insurance and love my job. Will work on ships out at the Bering Sea. Please give some advice. Dont know if i can hold up. Dont know if i can pretend like nothing. Was in the Army, but its not well now. Could be degenerative, so i cant claim l@i. Any idias pleas?

• mickkrmmickkr Posts: 166
    edited 04/20/2013 - 7:27 PM
    Hi and welcome.
    If you have a fractured vertebra it us unlikely to be degenerative. I'm in the UK so could not advise you on your local social security set up, but in most countries there are organisations that support their military veterans and this would probably be a good place to start for advice etc.
    I wouldn't advise undertaking any heavy manual work without first consulting a doctor.

I'm not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
  • I toughed my job out for 7 years and had no insurance. It's a long story but thought I had 7 years to claim and found it only had 2 years in Aus to claim. Had a police report that said there was gravel all over the road from a washed out dirt road, the councils fault, the ambulance even skidded when it came to pick me up.I finally went to a lawyer but it was too late. I also thought that over time it would get better but it is worse, probably from working on a computer all day and fighting the pain instead of pacing myself. Because I was riding my motorrbike and only had third party insurance, insured the bike and not myself it's cost me a fortune.

I wish I had given up work when, right at the start, they said I would never work again, and would've given me a pension. In the end it was so complex that I just left because I couldn't handle the pain anymore.

You can get insurance if your injury is aggravated by work. In hind sight I would have waited, taken more documented time off - instead of taking holidays and long service leave when I couldn't handle the pain - to leave a clear documented record in my file. Tried to do the right thing by taking my own time off when I was in pain, but it backfired on me.

Giving up work is the best thing I ever did. If you were in the armed forces in Australia there are really good back ups for people in your position. Lots of voluntary organisations who help. If you live in Aus I can PM the contact people and where to start. It was my work for 15 years - part of it discharging and re educating people who were medically unfit and had been hiding it for years. I was a civilian so it didn't help me. Wish I took the advice I gave them.

I know it's a big decision to give up work but in the end you find out you have to look after yourself first. I just figure the rest will fall into place for me. Really I was at the stage I was in so much pain I would have sold everything I owned and worked so hard for, just to be out of the pain. I never get bored - there are so many things I have always wanted to do. I know for guys their identification and self worth comes from your job, but in the end your health is the most important part. And in the end I found out no-one really gives a stuff and you are not irreplaceable.

Take the opportunity and do something that you've always wanted. People like the things they are good at and the jobs they are good at. There are many voluntary organisations in Australia who help vets for free.

It's different not having lots of money to throw around but really all you need is a roof over your head and some food. I even thought about pitching a tent on a hidden beach, fishing every day - you really don't need to eat everyday - just joking - but all you need is a dry comfortable place to sleep and a bit for food. The rest is b#llsh##.

Your fracture might get better if you stop twisting it. They don't leave a broken arm and twist it all the time and expect it to get better. Same with your back I reckon.