Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Police Officers with Spinal Fusion

I have had 3 previous revision surgeries on my L4-L5 and L5-S1. I am now looking at a multi level fusion at the previously noted levels as well as the L3-L4. My question is are there any active duty police officers that have had a fusion and were able to return back to full duty? Also, I would like some feedback on the surgery and post recovery results. Thanks for your help in advance.

• alexhurtingaalexhurting Posts: 1,991
    edited 04/09/2013 - 9:38 AM
    Hi and welcome , First let me just say I admit nothing and I am not speaking to the police without a lawyer ! Git-er-done

You already have L4L5 and s1 fused and they adding another level ?
    Or are they wanting to do a 3 level fusion now ?

If all goes well you can maybe return to work I would think but mostly desk work if the police dep, will assist you doing light duty work or investigative and such,

Friend of mine just retired from law enforcement and as you know sometimes having to take people down to the ground way too often to make an arrest can be a bitch, So not sure if after 3 level fusion it's something you want to risk,

But it will all depend on the outcome of your surgery of course and age factor and such,
    What state you a police officer at ? I need someone arrested the dirty thieves and I am all for police brutality !

Best wishes,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I didn't do it no one saw me cant prove a thing!

Sorry Alex got me in a funny mode for a minute. 8-) But welcome to the forum, these are a great bunch of people here.
  • Just curious, I know that being a police officer, can involve long hours of sitting in a squad car or behind a desk with moments of running, sprinting jumping and tackling. Also, sitting with a ballistic vest, doesn't this destroy your lower back? I would seriously be thinking about whether it will be good for your back to continue that type of work. Unknown reference but, I believe there is 12x more force put on the body while sitting than standing / lying down. Is this a common problem in the police field?
  • howdy all-
    I found the forum after a web search and landed on this older topic...

I am 2 1/2 weeks post-op from an L5/S1 ALIF with a cage and 3 screws with synth bone; previously had a C6/C7 fusion with a titanium plate almost 2 years ago.
    I'm 43 years old, and -had- 18 years and 6 months on as a police officer- until 3 years ago this month I was forced into an early disability retirement from the PD (was a Detective at the time...)
    I had been injured on duty about 6 years ago from a fall onto rock that damaged my spine; disks in L3 down crushed/bulged out, L4,5, S1 took the worst of it. I was off work initially 6 months completely, then returned to light duty after injections and RF treatments. 18 months after returning, I wretched my back pretty good fighting a suspect in a case I was working, and the city decided I was a liability, thus the retirement.
    So for the last 3 years as I said I have had the neck fusion which solved my right arm numbness and shoulder pain, several Radio Frequency sessions, injections, pain blocks, etc on the lumbar and finally the ALIF.

My question/wondering/curiosity is whether or not I could potentially return to duty as an offi