Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Medication after discectomy

I was wondering how long people took meds after their discectomy? I had a discectomy on L4/L5 three weeks ago today. I can't take ibuprofen or Celebrex, etc. because it bothers my stomach. Tylenol helps a little but not a lot, but I am wondering if I should be still taking it this far post-op?

• i was def. still taking meds 3 weeks out of my discectomy. i was on motrin pretty regularly. how bad is your pain? if it is still pretty severe i would call ur doc. hang in there!

june 2012-microD, l4/l5
    april 2013-fusion, l4/l5
  • anjsmilesaanjsmiles Posts: 52
    edited 04/11/2013 - 3:09 PM
    Tomorrow (Fri 4/12) I will be 3 weeks post-op. I still have nerve pain/irritation in my leg but I am not just crying in pain like I was last week when they had to put me on some steroids. The steroids helped a lot. On this Monday I talked to the Dr. office to let them know I was doing some better but still having nerve pain and they wanted to call me in some Neurontin. I asked if I could start physical therapy they said yes. I read up on the Neurontin and the side effects really kinda freaked me out so I haven't started on that. I am trying to see if I can get better on my own with physical therapy. I do still have to take an occasional 200mg Ibuprofen for the raw feeling in my nerve when it is really bothering me but I am managing. I was on Ibuprofen so much before surgery that I am trying to stay off it now. I also have a TENS unit (gives muscle stimulation therapy) that I got years ago through my chiropractor and have been using that which really helps and lots of ice. The physical therapist gave me some sonogram treatment both times I saw her this week and today she also did deep muscle pressure point relief as well as some muscle stimulation at the end of our session. Those things seem to help as well. Overall I am seeing improvement but I am still in more discomfort now than I was right before surgery. They keep telling me it is swelling and nerve irritation from the surgery.
    Angie 46 yo
    Post Discectomy for L5/S1 herniation on 3/22/13. Also have bulge at L4/L5 and minor facet syndrome in one joint.
  • Thanks for all your feedback. Some days are better than others (today's a bad one), but on my ok days, I do feel better than pre-surgery. On my bad ones, I feel about the same:(. I have been waking up early and taking a walk before work which most days seems to help. I am trying to stay positive. Doc will send me to p/t at my next follow-up appt. (4/23) She says she took a "HUUUUGE" chunk of disc out and seems satisfied with my recovery so far.