Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Not Your Hallmark Case Sciatica

For several years, I have had lower back discomfort. More recently, I have experienced numbness and tingling in the sole of my left foot. It is ONLY the left foot and is prominent in the smaller toes and ball of foot area. There is NO pain going down the back of my left leg as one would expect with sciatica. I have read that symptoms differ depending on where the nerve is pinched. However, I have not heard of a disconnect - where it is felt in the lower back and jumps to the foot. My PCP reviewed the results of two MRI's which were done in 2009 and 2012. He determined facet arthropathy at L5-S1 as well as possible S1 or S2 radiculopathy. On several occasions, the PCP has sent me to the chiropractor. The manipulations have helped in the short term. Still, I feel as though I am going CRAZY. Can anyone share a similar situation? - Susan

• Susan,

One thing I have figured out is that everyone's symptoms are one in a million. It's very difficult to find someone who is in the exact same situation as you. As for you going crazy, nah... My right calf and big toe are weak, cant do a calf raise at all and I am in no pain in my right leg. So for me, I don't have any pain at all just weakness.. The left leg is a different story. Have you spoken to a Neurosurgeon or Neurologist about this? They may be able to track what is going on this your nerves. good luck!
  • I've had sciatica for most of 4 years now. 2 laminectomies, and a fusion at l5-s1. i've had pain run down my right thigh to my shin. i've had it only in my thigh. i've had numbness in my calf, tingling and numbness from my knee to my toes. i had stabbing pain in my right heel right after my fusion, but nothing in my leg. the pain, tingling and numbness has shifted over those 4 years. And its totally possible to have it in one spot, but not from beginning to end. i too thought i was losing my mind on any number of occasions. i've been to a postiatrist, when i was getting a stabbing pain in a single spot of my foot. basically walked in and said, prove to me there is nothing there except the S1 nerve going haywire. couple of x-rays and an exam later, he agreed with me.

for me, now, after the fusion, i still get weird sensations in my heel. i get some sciatica in the back of my thigh. and random tingling in my toes. but not usually at the same time. its one or the other.

sorry you're having the problems, but you're totally not crazy.
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012