Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi. I've been dealing with sciatic pain for 20 years.
Yes, 20 years but some days are better than others but that is the reason I haven't had the surgery until now
How much pain should a human have to tolerate before saying enough is enough?
Look, I'm still able to bend, twist, work, lift and do whatever I want, within reason, but I feel the pain during and for sometime after. It's annoying and I get grumpy. I hate being in constant pain, even at the moment. I was to have a microdiscectomy last year this time but cancelled the night before because at the time the pain wasn't as bad as it has been in the past and all the horror stories I've read on the net also persuaded my decision. I'm booked in to see a neurosurgeon on the 22nd of May to decide whether ill have the op and the surgeon is the same one I saw last time round also. Tomorrow, 23 rd April I get an MRI done so the NS had updated info. He'll also have the MRI from a year and a half ago to compare with. I'm still in two minds about going through with the procedure nd need help making the right decision. Everyone around me including wife and family say i should do it because it's not any better and probably won't. I'm just concerned that being able to still function and do things now pre op might change for the worse post op. I also have three young children under the age of four to care for. I don't want to be in any more discomfort or pain anymore. I'm sick of it. The pain is tolerable at the moment but about two weeks ago I had been in moderate to high pain for 6 months. All the meds I was on for pain made me sick so I stopped taking them. Now I'm on no meds but have some constant pain. If I work it hurts. If I work hard it hurts more. Do I do the op or live like this? I just don't want to end up worse off or it will haunt me for the rest of my life. Please help.

• AwareWolfAAwareWolf Posts: 5
    edited 04/23/2013 - 3:51 PM
    Just do it. Much better chance of a good or neutral result than a bad one. The surgeons know what they're doing. Good luck.
  • ill try to keep this as brief as I can. I am a 35 year old male and for all of my adult life I have suffered with chronic back pain and sciatica. I had fought this problem on a more regular basis as time went on. after years of various treatments I was eventually sent for an mri scan after I had been suffering with pain where I was unable to walk,stand or sit for more than minutes. the scan came back showing that I had DDD with gross wearing on several discs and a herniated disc at l5/s1. at this point I was sent to a consultant for a private health care company. after reading my scans we went through all the treatments I had tried and it soon became obvious to me while reeling off the list that if I had tried all those options and had arrived at this point that the option of treatment which had been put in front of me was the next step(and I think before I was offered it then I was hoping it would be suggested). i have to be honest at this point. i am now more than 3 months post op and things are not progressing the way id hoped they would. but that is just my case. to what i can take from hours and hours of research the success rate for this op is hugely in favour of good results. the decision of surgery is one that has to be taken with all things considered. but if you feel you have tried everything else and you feel your living your life in pain and that the pain dictates to you then the procedure has to be a realistic option. my surgery certainly help with my unbearable constant pain but i am now struggling with sciatica and lower back pain whenever i sit for and length of time. but i am hoping this will correct itself if not then i will be on yet another road in this journey. only you can make this decision and you have to be honest with yourself. are you in pain more often than not? is the pain getting you down? is your condition ruling your life? i think my recovery is where i have had years of back problems and my DDD is also effecting the recovery rate. to be honest i don't think there are many people who have had this procedure regret it, but that is just something i take from peoples experiences that i have read. all this said surgery should really be the last option. only you know how much your condition is affecting you and that really is what you must base your decision on. good luck with whatever you choose. this place can help a lot but remember none of us are professionals, and they are the ones you should voice your concerns to.