Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Out of surgery.

I had my surgery done at C7-T1 today, they did a posterior procedure and what they had planned to need to remove was a small disc bulge. When they got in there though the main problem ended up being that my nerve was trapped inbetween bone. This was never caught on any of my many imaging scans.

I'm resting in bed now, my arm feels infinitely better, but my neck is in horrid pain from the surgery. I know that'll just take time to heal though and I just gotta be patient. I get to go home tomorrow morning. :)
Microlaminectomy and discectomy at C7-T1 on April 26th.

• My neck and shoulders were in horrible pain from muscle spasms. I made the mistake of rushing home the day after my surgery. I must say it was the BIGGEST mistake I have ever had. I made the mistake of thinking that the pain relief I was getting from the morphine pump wouuld be similar to the pain meds I went home with. Plus the hospital was an hour from our home and I felt I was inconveniencing everyone. Really dumb as eveyone has had a difficult time seeing the level of pain I am in.

MAJOR MISTAKE - I could not have been more wrong!. I was pre-certified to stay in the hosptal for four days and I have kicked myself every day for making the decision to go home and cope with the pain on my own.

Give you family and yourself the benefit of healing a little more if you can.
  • Eaduby
    This is another great example that x-rays, scans and MRIs do not show everything and the skill of the surgeon comes into play with the information they get from the patient and the test. They say its rare but it happened to me also.
    Does not look so rare now.

Now just take it easy and do not rush your recovery like cinbad suggested. That's a painful area for surgery and recovery.
    I do not know how much pain your in but for me the third day always feels the worst then it starts to improve.
    With spine surgery its best to get away from any source of infection as quick has possible meaning go home asap
    If you are OK pain wise.

Cinbad yes you probally went home to early but in the long run it may have been a good choice. I have always had to be off the pain pump before going home. My spine surgeries have been at a university hospital and they always have a surgeon on call for pain management after surgery if meds need to be changed. Five times so far and they have been there for me.

Good Luck to each of you
  • Pain was really bad yesterday after the procedure, but after constant dosing with percocet every four hours throughout the night, and one oxycontin at one point I'm feeling okay now. Very sore and don't want to use those muscles, but okay as long as I'm just resting, whereas before it hurt no matter what. Everything's set up at home I have three people there to take care of the house and kids (two of my sisters and my hubby) so I can pretty much continue on as if I was still in the hospital. I didn't need any morphine to control my pain so I'm feeling okay about heading home, since the meds can easily be continued there. Also, I'm only a five-ten minute drive from the hospital so if things aren't okay when I'm at home it's no big deal to come right back. :)

Also I didn't have a full discectomy with fusion.
    Microlaminectomy and discectomy at C7-T1 on April 26th.