Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

FACING C7-T1 fusion with hardware and C5-C6 revision

I am new here. I am not new to the spine surgery arena on the other had. I am facing a C7-T1 fusion and C5-C6 fusion revision in about two weeks. I did well with the first fusion and also with my lumbar fusion. I am just wondering if anyone can give me some information on the hospital stay and recovery time of the fusion when you add the revision. I am in a constant state of pain sitting, standing or lying down. I own a heavy highway construction company and would like to know how long this may put me down. I am having the surgery no matter what just trying to do some planning. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
L4-L5 Laminectomy x2 06/2008: L4-L5 fusion with hardware 06/2009: L4-L5 hardware removal 2/2010: C5-C6 fusion with hardware 05/2010
advertisement

Comments

• I would imagine that a revision surgery will have a longer recovery time than the first surgery. Things tend to be more difficult with subsequent surgeries.

Are you having the surgery from the front again? ACDF? It sounds like they are going to leave C6/7 alone? Is that correct?

I wish you well and hope that your outcome will be another good one.
    I have also had a lumbar and cervical fusion surgeries. I was told I may need another surgery from the back afterwards, but the MRI done a week ago shows that my spinal cord has been compressed enough and now have spinal fluid either side of the cord again, so the surgeon is happy that I don't need anything done right now.

I can't really tell you how long the recovery will take. There seems to be a difference between surgeries done in the USA and in the UK where I am. I had a 2 level (C3/4/5) ACDF done last November and I was in hospital for 4 days (3 nights).
    Some people in the States only stay in overnight, or even less than 24 hours.

If I was you I would plan for a longer time and then hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised. :-)
    Good luck! What is the date of your surgery?